Quick question regarding subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by amill94, Oct 2, 2005.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys. I rearranged my setup and need to relocate my sub further away from my equipment. I only have a 12 foot subwoofer cable. Will I loose quality if I buy another 12 foot cable and use an rca barrel connector to connect the two together? I need about 20 feet...and the largest I can find anywhere locally is 18ft.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Im not exactly sure if the sound quality would be effected if you used an RCA barrel, however I myself would probably feel a lot better using a single subwoofer interconnect cable.

http://www.bdcable.com/subwoofer-cable.htm u can order one clear up to 90 feet, I suggest getting a 25 foot cable so u got some slack to work with.

I also suggest looking at the subwoofer set up procedure in the read here first stickied thread. (I never tried the y-adaptor method in step though)

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You will not notice any difference in sound quality, but for aesthetic purposes I'd rather have one continuous cable.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I've had noise problems with those barrel connectors before. I prefer to avoid them if all possible.

It may have been just a faulty connector, but I'd rather just forget about them.

5. veonake

Noise problems from a barrel connector? I'm not sure if that makes sense. What about it would introduce any audible amount of noise?

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah, if theres a connection theres a connection, if there isnt there isnt, not sure how noise would be introduced unless the connector was somehow placed near something that would create intereference of some sort :dunno:

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Like I said it might have been a broken connector. I just got a nasty hum whenever I used it. So I just try and stay away from them entirely and make the issue moot.

8. veonake

Weird.

9. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

just buy a new longer cable on ebay, it would probably be just as much to buy a new cable and connector locally. I got a used, but good as new 30' RCA brand subwoofer cable with Y adapter on ebay for $13 shipped.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

good deal

11. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I did some rearranging and managed to get an 18' cable to fit. I picked up a monster cable subwoofer cable for $18 and some change. The new placement is great. Thanks for the input.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah, being inventive is a good thing in times of short cable