MIL Quick question for the Navy and AF servicemen

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jesmister, Nov 24, 2006.

1. jesmister

jesmister New Member

Just a quick question, I am currently in DEP with the Navy waiting to ship April '07 with an AV rating. My recruiter has submitted and gotten a DAR for me but the only thing that is currently available is Female AV. Just wondering if there was anything I could do to improve my chances of leaving earlier without switching jobs. The only other jobs available earlier this week were FC or ET. Neither of which seem to be close to what I really want. So if there is anyway to speed up the process please let me know.

And also I havn't talked to any AF recruiters but was just wondering if the AV was available in Airforce also and what would be the odds of leaving quicker with them?

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Details on AV since the Navy has acronyms for acronyms.

3. jesmister

jesmister New Member

AT, AE ..... Aviation Computer Tech or Aviation Electrician

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Yeah, but it isn't called that. Go tell the AF recruiter you want to work on aircraft electrical systems.

5. Isamu

Isamu New Member

6. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Stick with AV, or talk to the AF. I'm an AE working on Super Hornets and it is a demanding job, but I love it. There's nothing wrong with ET or FC but I recommend sticking with aviation, it's the better side of the house and if you have a chance to do it, go with it. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure the surface navy will pop in and disagree here in a minute :big grin:

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

surface navy popping in here, i have alot of friends that are AT's and its pretty much the same thing as being a surface ET eccept you are in a different shop and guaranteed to be on a ship that has a flight detachment on it...infact some of the gear i work on is completly interchangable with gear that goes on planes (im an ET)

8. jesmister

jesmister New Member

cool, thanks guys, im signed as AV now and dont plan on switching, also I noticed that you have the ability to opt for Aircrew positions.... can you guys give me any info on how all that works? It sounds damn interesting. And also Mrduke, do they pick for you whether you are AE or AT?

9. itski

itski Yargg

I got an AT buddy that was on shore for his first command, ship on second. He likes it. Unlike the ETs he was able to make 2nd.

10. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I can't remember exactly when you can try to go aircrew, boot camp probably. I'm a voluntold AE but your performance in A school is supposedly what determines your rate. Either rate is cool with me, AT sounds a bit cooler on paper but there's nothing wrong with being a wire chaser (AE) either ;)

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

AT has like 10-15% higher advancement to e5 as surface ET :wtc:
    and it doesnt help when you get yourself in trouble either haha

12. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

I'm an FC great carrier field, you own, maintain and operate all of your own gear. Electronics is electronics any which way you look at it, sounds like you've made your decision though.

13. LTJfan513

LTJfan513 New Member

ET checking in. If you want as much time to do shit other than work go ET. Everyday underway I stand a five hour watch in our shop waiting for trouble calls, other than that I take care of maintenane(only takes a couple of hours for the week, the rest of the time you dont have to do a damn thing as long as you avoid looking like a shitbag. I'll also add in that I manage to do do more than the average person in my division, get good evals, and still consider myself to be a huge lazy ass...

14. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

basically you're trying to get shipped out earlier?

You'd think that it wouldn't be a big deal, but they book schools based on certain details etc. You're contract says you're supposed to ship out at a certain date and this is based on getting you into the class for the field you wanted. Switching fields now could also affect your signing bonus. The biggest thing is the quotas, certain jobs have quotas that recruiters are supposed to fill and they'll tell you anything to get you into one of those jobs. I know sitting around waiting sucks, but it's probably in your best interests to get the job you want by waiting on your contract to come up.

15. someonenew

In Boot Camp when you go for your swim tests they'll offer you the chance to take the Aircrew swim test. If you pass it you can get flagged for Aircrew and will do Aircrew/BUD's PT for the rest of Boot Camp and they can supercede your orders. Passing the PT test is the most important part of becoming Aircrew.

16. someonenew

fuck the surface

Run Silent, Run Deep!

Submarines For LIFE

17. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

bro that depends where you get stationed...on my ship the shitbag ET's look like complete ass and never have to do anything because my chief would rather them not be seen, if you look good and work hard, you get worked more and more and any request to go on leave or anything like that gets shot down 90% of the time because "you are to vital to the division/crew"

18. jesmister

jesmister New Member

Any place that you know of that I can find out the requirements of the Aircrew PT? And when you say BUD's is it a different type of BUDs than SWCC or EOD or SEALs? Thanks for all the help, I'm trying to find out everything I can so I dont go into this blind, and Recruiters are nice but I dont fully trust everything they say.

And thanks to everyone who responded, ya'll are sparking up new questions now... like what exactly is the "Surface ET"?

19. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

surface ET is regular ET rating that goes on surface ships, can be any surface ship, and working on anything electronic, but mainly search radars and comms equipment and possibly networking/computer equipment on the larger ships

BUD/S is basic underwater demolition/seals but swcc and i believe EOD go to a portion of BUD/S before branching off into their own specific training program