MIL Quick question for AFor Army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by raand, Mar 12, 2010.

1. raand

raand New Member

I am currently Commissioned in the Amry National Guard and this question poped into my head the other day. Is it possible for an Army officer to go active Air Force? My degree is in Computer Engineering so a career in the Active Army probaby would not be as interesting as on in the Air Force. Anyway does anyone know tha answer to this one?

2. burn__

burn__ New Member

its possible. but doable, thats another story

3. raand

raand New Member

ha, well this is more speculation than anything, what makes it so difficult

4. burn__

burn__ New Member

from my understanding the AF doesnt like taking soldiers from other branches. and now given how long the wait times are for OTS, it gives them even more of an opportunity to be picky for no reason. lol

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I met an Army E-5 who was joining the AF. He got into COTS.

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

But isn't that for someone who holds a professional degree? Doctor, lolyer, nurse, etc?

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

yes.

AF is hurting for engineers though so they'd probably be interested in you. You could try for an Interservice transfer.

8. JSin

JSin New Member

Define interesting.

9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

AF = place with the smartest most nerdy nerds that have ever nerded. Do you know of anybody else who has a major command symbol that bears a striking resemblance to the star trek badge?

I'm guessing he's thinking the AF designs cooler shit so being a developmental engineer for the AF would be more interesting...

10. raand

raand New Member

to sum it up in the army the most technical career for an officer to my knowledge is in Signal, which is what I am in now. Signal is IT focused, which is interesting and I love doing this job in the national guard. But, for an everyday job or active duty, I would rather do something more closely aligned with my current civilian employment as a Computer Engineer.

So by interesting I guess I mean using my degree.

11. tan koi

tan koi Guest

Look into function areas. FA24 parallels network engineering. I think kazimer is one.

If you're really desperate, you can try to transfer to the warrant officer side of the house, then select something like 250N.

12. raand

raand New Member

Yah, I think I would rather stay at my current Civ job and stay in the National Guard, if I could not go a more technical route. If I stay guard I may just try and go for a FA53 or something.

13. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

The only explicit branch (Army to another service) that I know is in the regulation is that a newly commissioned army officer can apply to be a Marine Officer. This is actually in the regs/law.

Maybe they have some sort of program going on right now? Although I doubt it, considering the Army is getting Airforce officers like crazy.