quick question about wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fade, Dec 26, 2003.

1. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

ok, so ive decided to go with the linksys router.

going with b, because everyone's laptops in the house already has b cards.

now, as for the desktop, should i go with the pci or the usb? any difference at all?

as for sharing printers, they can still be shared on the network through one computer right? (for example i dont have to purchase a printer server to access it from other computer?)

and by using a router, am i sharing one IP? because we're running two ips with the current wired network.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

desktop you could go either way, either would be fine.. the only pro with usb is that you can rip it out of a computer easier and put it in something else without opening the case and shutting the computer down. On the other hand pci's tend to come with better antennas, ie better reception... but if you're in a smaller house it won't really matter anyways.

Sharing printers will work exactly how it did with your previous network... wireless is still ethernet, just over a different medium... should be transparent to you.

With a router you would be sharing one PUBLIC ip address. for example... your isp will hand out an ip address to your router, and the router will use that to give X number of computers behind the router access to the internet via your 1 public ip address... if that makes any sense.

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

:cool: so does the router assign different addresses within a network?

i could just wire the desktop to the router right? so i dont have to go wireless with the desktop

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yes, the router will make sure each computer node within your network gets it's own unique internal ip address (i.e. 192.168.X.X ). And yes, most routers have like a 4-port switch so you could hardwire the desktop if your cable/dsl modem is close

5. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

so i set it up and everything is working exceptionally, except

my laptop is not getting any speed at all! its been getting 66kbps compared
    to the 1500kbps+ that all the other computers have been getting.

the setup right now is, two laptops hooked up with linksys cards, one laptop (the one thats slow as shit) that is hooked up with a d-link card, and a desktop thats hardwired to the router.

all the computers are fast except for the laptop using d-link. could the card have any affect on this? :dunno:

6. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

ok i think it may just be a wall or something :o