GUN Quick question about ffl dealers and handguns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Klepto, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Klepto

Klepto Guest

do you have to be 21 to actually purchase and pick up a handgun? I just want something I could keep at home/unloaded in car, in case something bad happens.

and what are hangun safety lessons like? Just tell you stuff like "don't point at other people, keep your finger off the trigger" etc or do they give some good pointers?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Handgun safety lessons will really depend on the instructor. Some will go the extra mile and teach you something, some just take your money, watch you shoot a magazine, then sign off on you if you manage not to hurt anyone in the process. Ask how much instruction you're going to get before the class.

From a FFL dealer, yes, you have to be 21 to buy/receive a handgun countrywide. Some states allow private party sales of handguns to 18+, but i can't comment on your state.

3. Klepto

Klepto Guest

do you know how I could find out about the private party laws? I looked at our laws here, just syas you gotta be 18 to have one at home. but I didnt see anything about provate party transfer

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Hopefully someone from WA will check in, but if not, i'll see what i can research for you when i get up this evening.

5. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Look in your phone book and see if you can find a shooting range or a local gun club. Ask them all your questions and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

6. Klepto

Klepto Guest