Quick network/router question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Feb 12, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

My network consists of an older wireless SMC router (only used as wired though) connected to a linksys wireless G w/speedbooster. The SMC is in a network closet and the Linksys is centrally located in my house. No problems what so ever with range, etc.

The problem is every now and then the SMC gives me issue and I have to unplug it and the modem, shut down the pc and then turn them all on an plug them all in one by one while they sync. Doesn't happen very often but always at an inconvienient time.

If I move the Linksys to the closet I may suffer a bit on the range so I just want to replace the SMC with another wired/wireless model or either put the linksys in the closet and put some kind of range extender where the linksys is currently.

Which solution would be better? If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what model linksys?

I would put a WRT54Gv4 with DD::WRT in the closet. You can disable the wireless, or use WDS.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

WRT54GS.

So you say to replace the SMC with another router and keep my linksys wireless router?

Why would I need DD:WRT?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because linksys firmware sucks bfdd.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

well, you've been as helpful as usual.

Any real advice?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRT54Gv4 w/DD::WRT

fucking douche I gave you advice. take it or :gtfo:

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Is there a reason you need 2 routers in your setup?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

under his current schema it appears that one of two options is likely:

a) one is 802.11b and the other is 802.11g (and he desires G speeds)

b) the location of the primary gateway is not optimal for wireless coverage.

9. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

If its option B, just run a longer line to the Linksys and make it the primary gateway. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the network closet.

Also, can you describe more about the problem with the SMC? Are you sure its failing, or are you just losing network connectivity?

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Jolly dumbass - I am not complaining about linksys firmware so running DD:WRT is not going to accomplish anything. I could go get any ~$20 router and possibly solve my issue. I simply want to get opinions on the two ways i descibed above.

If you would have just recommneded getting a WRT54Gv4 to replace the SMC then that might make sense. Mentioning replacing firmaware has nothing to do with my thread so you :gtfo:

critter783 - I originally wired the house with Cat6 when I had it built. My "pc" room has a large closet that I wanted to house most of my networkdevices. So I have modem > router > switch. The router also feed the two pcs in that room. The switch feeds three other bedrooms as well as two drops in the living room/den.
    After all this was set up I decided to get a wireless router for several reasons (laptop, wireless media device in garage, and a tivo). What made the most sense at the time for me was to tie the router that was in the closet into the wireless router in the living room (most central location of the house).
    SO I can't really remove it from the closet because that where all the feeds come back to.

Occassionally I just lose all connectivity. I power cycle the modem, reboot the pc, nothing happens. I can plug the modem straight into a pc and it will work. Plug it back into the router and it still won't.
    It only starts working when I power off the router and the modem and let everything reset/sync. Originally when this happend I replaced the modem so I know that's not the problem.

I just figured some kind of range extended or an AP would be a logicall choice but I don't know what the differences are????

Hope that clears things up.

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Just curious. You are using cable right?

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

yes

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

running a WRT54Gv4 without DD::WRT is retarded. The firmware is VERY important. In fact, I really recommend the firmware and whatever router runs it properly.... that linksys happens to be affordable.

So shut the fuck up. The firmware/software ABSOLUTELY affects what hardware you run... And hardware without software is USELESS.

Wanna build a new computer but not use an OS?

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:rofl:

Nice comaprison. :ugh:

Quit shitting up my thread.

My point is, my current Linksys firmware is fine with ME and has been running fine for a few years. I realize DD::WRT is supposedly superior but that has nothing to do with my original question.

Oh, what is WDS? :o

Any other opinions?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're an idiot.

It has everything to do with it. If you're in the market for a product, and one is "superior" then it would seem prudent to investigate it and go that route -- unless there is a compelling reason not to... Which you have been unable to articluate. So other than being a stubborn bitch, why NOT use it? You've been negative since post 1.

16. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

why not replace the closet router with a 20$ hub or switch?

17. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I've been negative? :rofl: :bowdown:

But If you suggest a new router then that's fine. I am simply stating that i do not see any reason to base this purchase on firmware. I have no problems with my network other than the SMC and I think it's just going bad. It's been in use for ~5 yrs or so. When I had it as my main wireless it would drop connections religiously. That's why I put it in this network as a wired router only.
    If I haven't ever used DD::WRT before and I have been happy then I am OK with never having DD::WRT. Can you get this through your head???

But thanks for mentioning it, seriously. I just want to know if an AP/rangextender/router is recommneded.

I did install some AP's at work about a year ago but they were more than the cost of a router. I have no idea how much range extenders are or if they are worth it.

If the sentiment is just go with router then that's fine.

18. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I'm an idiot (as jolly has stated) so I have to ask this.

Can I do that? Don't I need a router in my netowrk right after the modem so I can share the connecitons?

EDIT : I realize a hub will split them too, I just thought a router was necessary.

19. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

thats right, you would have to have a router and then the hub, omit my last comment

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you could always just buy a router/switch and then connect your existing wireless AP to it. you probably don't want to stick your AP in the closet so having a single router/switch/wireless AP wouldn't be all that great.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

by the by, potroast = Nick Burns. lol.

[​IMG]

22. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I realize I may be harping on this incessantly, but I'm just more interested in the problem you're having, and I don't really think the gateway router you're using is going bad. I think its more likely that you're having issues with the presence of two routers on your network. Are both running DHCP, and is the Linksys set in router or gateway mode?

23. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Harp away critter, I don't mind.

DHCP is off on linksys and it runs in gatewayt mode. I understand about 75 - 80% of all this "network" stuff but am no expert. My brother-in-law is a network admin for a major cell company and he is the one that configured a good bit of my network.

I just firmly believe something is crapping out with the SMC so I don't really mind paying ~40 or so to replace it if necessary. I think that, in the end, I will just replace it with another router instead of the AP or range extender. Just seems like it is less cost.

24. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Try putting the Linksys in router mode and running the SMC in gateway mode. Having two gateways could be problematic.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

gateway/router only affects how bridging occurs between the two VLAN interfaces. (since you don't know, a linksys wrt is actually NOT a router -- it's a small managed switch, with some clever software). As you would NOT be using the "WAN" port in his configuration, changing the "gateway/router" setting will have ZERO effect since nothing is on the "WAN" VLAN.