quick n00b question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TireSmokinSRT, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

ok i'm completely new to a mac so give me a bit to catch on...

i downloaded some new programs (VLC, azureus etc..) and when i download them they go straight to my desktop in 2 files...one will be like "Azureus" and has an icon that looks like a small drive..the other is a .dmg file.

i assume one is the executable and have no idea what the other is...where can i store them? when i try to copy the one with the "Drive" icon to applications it just creates a shortcut.

:dunno:

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner Guest

I'm a mac n00b too, but a DMG file is a Disk Image File -- it's the Mac version of an ISO file on Windows, if you're familiar with that. You can open them by right-clicking the DMG file, and then clicking 'Open with' --> 'DiskImageMounter'

I have no idea about the second part of your questions -- I'm sure somebody else can answer it.

3. bovine

bovine New Member

You navigate into the drive folder and copy the application within it to you Applications folder. After that, you can trash both the .dmg and the drive folder. Option-drag copies files over, though you shouldn't need to use that. Just dragging it should work fine.

4. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

When you download Azureus, you download the .dmg and macosx automatically (usually) mounts the disk image. The "executable" file is the mounted dmg file. If its not there, just double click the .dmg and it should mount it. The "executable" file is what you double click to start the install. If the program opens (not install program) when you open the "executable" file then just drag that file to your applications file and drag the .dmg file into the trash (eject).

5. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

:cool:

thanks that worked

6. Mach D

Mach D New Member

many mac programs don't install like windows does. Many apps you can simply drag to applications. And when you want to delete them, just drag it to the trash.

Ibappzapper

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

god you make it so confusing... just double click the file and it'll mount.

also...here is a quick tip:
    if it comes in a .dmg you got 2 options to do with the files inside of it (what's inside the "drive" icon that shows up on your desktop)
    1) if it has a .pkg extention, you double click it and it'll run an installer
    2) if it's just the application with no extention, drag it to your applications folder and it'll install itself on the way in

after that, just eject the "drive" icon, and throw away the .dmg

other wise, bigger applications (ie: Office/Adobe Studio/FCP Studio) will have real setup/installer files...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  8. Jack Horner

Jack Horner Guest

My DMG file didn't mount when I double clicked it last night.

:hsughno: Sorry if I offended you.