QUICK I NEED AN ANSWER!! v.headunit wiring

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deuceforty, Jun 27, 2007.

1. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

my kenwood harness has a black wire labelled "chassis ground"
    my adaptor it connects to has a black and white wire labelled "amp ground"

do i connect these?? also on my adaptor there are 2 spare wires, one blue labelled "power antenna" another is orange and black labelled "dimmer" wtf do i do with those?

2. deuceforty

ok, so after my little install, 2 things, #1 the power antenna will not go up, i kind of figured this would happen, because the adaptor plugged in to the factory part, then the other side had two pieces, one of which plugged in to the head unit, the other one had this weird end that looked like something was supposed to stick into it, but i couldnt find anything so i left it alone..

also i didnt do the ground right i thinnnk, there is a slight hum when the volume is turned all the way down, so tommorow im gonna extend the ground wire a bit and mount it to the chassis under some other screw or something, i havnt figured it out yet... still have NO idea about the "dimmer"

im thinking i might have to put the "power antenna" into the socket type thing that came with the antenna adaptor, just have NO idea how im going to do that

3. deuceforty

well i have NO idea why the antenna wont go up or down, i found out that the antenna adaptor i got has a female motorola jack for an optional "fm changer" whatever the fuck that is,

anyway, im gonna ground chassis ground wire tommorow after work, i have no idea where to put the "power antenna" wire or the "dimmer" wires though...

4. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

you don't need dimmer wires on most after market radios. as for the antena it normall needs an output coming off the headunit to tell it when to go up and down. normally this is accomplished by a blue wire labeled amp turn on. pictures of the wires and maybe letting us know what radio and what car you have might help us out a little.

5. deuceforty

kenwood kdc 232 mr

in a 95 nissan 240sx

there was no blue wire labelled amp turn on that i recall, i used all the wires from the kenwood harness

6. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

according to page 27 of the kenwood manual there is a blue w/ white stripe wire that is supposed to be for hooking up amps and for the power antena. do you have the premium sound system or just the regular? it seems like you are in luck because I also drive a 95 240sx so I can help you with any problems you have.

7. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

any reason you are using a head unit ment for marine use?

8. deuceforty

yeah... it was completely free, it just didnt come with the harness, i bought a 16 pin kenwood harness off ebay, not having an antenna doesnt really affect anything since i use cd's 99% of the time and the radio still worked fine.. its just something i would like to fix if possible

9. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

do all the speakers work with cd's? do you have the premium sound system?

10. deuceforty

yeah, all the speakers, work, its got 4 6.5s and 2 tweeters, everything is fine, its just that the antenna doesnt go up, i think the low hum will go away when i actually ground to the chassis instead of connecting the chassis ground to the amp ground (which is black and white)

11. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

ok that hum will not go away. listen to some music for a while and then go into the trunk and feel the factory amps that are mounted under the rear deck they will be hotter then hell. the problem is that the head unit is outputing 50watts to each channel on your new headunit while the old one was only outputing 1 watt to the amplifers. so right now you are attempting to ampilfiy an amplified sorce and it is overworking your amps causing the hum. the only ways to solve the problem is to get a headunit with 2 sets of preamp outputs instead of just one, or to take the time to remove the factory amps from the equation. I personally recomend removing the factory amps because they are worthless. if you want I can write up a wireing guide with pictures for you.

12. deuceforty

can i replace the factory amp with a 4 channel aftermarket amp pretty easily? a guide with pics would be AMAZING

13. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

the problem would still be there if you were to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one. if you were wanting to replace the factory amps then you would have to get a different head unit that had rca front and rear ouputs. I can have the write up done by tomarrow night probally depending on how the weather is.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can use LOC without replacing the factory HU.

15. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

16. deuceforty

my head unit has rca outputs in the back...

17. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

how many pairs of rca outputs does it have? from what I can tell in the manual I found online it only has one pair.

18. deuceforty

it does have only one pair, i dont think i want to run an amp to the speakers, but i would like a subwoofer, so the one pair of rca outputs would be good for the amp for the sub right?

19. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

yeah that one rca would be perfect for the subwoofer just make sure you activate the low pass filter on the amplifier you use to avoid damaging the subs.

do you still have the factory speakers?

have you checked fuses for the power antena? according to the factory service manual the antena uses a 7.5 amp fuse located in the main cabin fusepanel and it is in position number 8. just something to check.

20. deuceforty

i fixed the antenna, i just spliced it with the "amp turn on" wire, so anytime the stereo is turned on it sends a signal to the power antenna to go up, when the stere ois off the antenna goes down.

i replaced the front 2 speakers with sony xplods, im gonna put in some infinity kappa reference speakers when i get the money, and move the xplods to the back, but all 4 factory speakers where dry rotted, the 2 tweeters i havnt checked but they sound fine

ill defenitely use the low pass filter, im getting a 12" rockford fosgate HE2 and a kenwood 500 watt 1 channel amp to run it off of, hopefully everything will be allright

21. deuceforty

just finished bypassing factory amps, sounds a MILLION times better... many thanks bro!

22. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

Get rid of the factory amps, get rid of the sony xplods, get a cheap set of components(MB discus, CDT, phoenix gold), forget the RF sub and the kenwood amp, there are much better options for the price.

Phoenix Gold Octane R 5 channel amp is on sale for $189 at woofers etc.

It will put out 125w to the front speakers and 125w to the rear speakers( or you could bridge it to just power fronts), and 400w to a 2ohm subwoofer.

Amp:
    PG Octane R 5 channel amp - $189

Speakers:
    CDT KA-61 comps are $99
    OR
    MB discus for $59
    OR
    Phoenix Gold ZRs for $80

Sub:
    Image Dynamics ID12D2 - $149

23. deuceforty

i ended up getting a pioneer GMT5200t amp, i got 2 dual 12" in a bandpass box AND a wiring kit for 170 shipped!!

[​IMG]

24. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

lol

25. Ronin

Ronin Guest