Quick help with altering leg workout

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by miek, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miek

miek New Member

Alright, so here are the exercises I've been doing on the legs, but kind of want to start doing more explosive lifts, as summer is coming around and I'll be playing a bunch of different sports. Anyways, this is what I'm doing right now:

Back squats - 4 sets
    Front squats - 3 sets
    Lunges - 3 sets
    Quad extentions - 2 sets
    Hamstring curls - 3 sets
    Calf raises - 4 sets

I don't really know much about proper leg training, but when I go through this I'll be sore as fuck for a few days... so I'm assuming it's working to some extent :rofl:

Anyways, if you had to change this up a little bit to incorporate more explosive technique in the lifts, what would you do? I was thinking getting rid of the second set of squats since I already have one set going, and the quad extentions, because I'm sure those really aren't helping too much. What I would put in place of them, and where I would order it is another story though... anyone care to shed some insight?

Thanks for the help brofessors

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

well you have some great exercise selections in there.. wish I could be more help in tailoring your routine though

3. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

box squats

4. miek

miek New Member

should i replace these with say my front squats? both sets of squats? or keep em there and sneek this one in with low weight?

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Hack squats??

6. miek

miek New Member

should i do these instead of back or front squats? maybe keep it as the second exercise in or something?

7. ericande

ericande Active Member

I'd start out with box jumps, end with max effort. Then maybe do leg ext, then squats. You really don't need front squats, back squats and lunges IMO either, at least not if you're trying to get ready for sports.

8. miek

miek New Member

I like lunges tho lol

How about:

Box jumps
    Box squats
    Lunges
    Hamstring curls
    Calf raises

sound a bit better?

9. ericande

ericande Active Member

I like lunges too. You can mix that stuff up also, switch out curls for leg ext sometimes. Box squats for hack squats, regular squats, whatever.

10. miek

miek New Member

Ah ok, so mix it up a little bit... that's a good idea actually. I like it, thanks.

11. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

ditch the extensions and leg curls. do more single leg work.

12. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

front squats
    hack squats
    rdl's
    lunges

13. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

explosive leg training like olympic style cleans and snatches? plyometrics such as box jumps and split jacks and sprints?

what sports are you playing?

14. miek

miek New Member

If I already do dls on my back day, would it be worth my while to do them again on legs, or would I be overtraining some muscles? Or is that just up to my discretion?

And for sports, I'll just be playing on a couple different hockeys teams, a couple baseball teams, and maybe a flag football team too. This is in addition to jiu-jitsu when I got time.

Maybe alternate between a weights day and a plyometrics day? I wouldn't wanna do both on the same day now that I think of it. Would this be my best bet?

15. knucks

knucks Active Member

I would decrease the SQUATS to like, 1 per workout.
    I started squatting twice a week, alternating what I do..

I guess you can try Front Squats week A, box squats below parallel week B. Repeat. :dunno:

16. 4cd-Air

ok I'm feelin nice enough to do this now

so you want to train legs and be better at sports? Here goes.

Cut out the back and front squats, extentions and curls. Focus more on lunges in all their variations. a sagittal lunge (forward or backward) more closely mimmick walking/running and will train the legs to be powerful in thise directions. Also include lateral lunges, as hockey, soccer, and american football all include a lot of side to side action, also to keep the legs in overall balance. Front squats and back squats are good if you have to play lineman and hit a guy 3 feet away from you from a dead stop or slam dunk a basketball over a guy who's 6'6", but realistically they aren't crucial. If anything, your cardio day should include TONS of bodyweight squats anyway so there you go. The calf work should be agility ladder work and jump rope. Look into finding a trainer in your area who works in kettlebells and sign up for a few lessons. You'll thank me later.

that's as much as I want to get into right now

questions?

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Great post though I still respectfully disagree somewhat. While I agree with the importance of lunges, and that leg extensions and leg curls could be dropped, I think some form of squats or front squats should remain.

Also think that kettlebells are overrated. Again, just a different opinion to a great post.

18. 4cd-Air

and I respect the inclusion of squats, but I would wager that this particular guy has done his fair share of squats over the last 12 weeks. I'm not saying drop them entirely, just try to leave them out as much as posssible. Bodyweight squats along with a heavy dose of a good kettlebell trainer would more than cover the maintanance of good hip flexion and extention, and probably address some hidden mobility issues along the way. Not to mention the increase of shoulder stability secondary to the kettlebell use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.