Quick FTP question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Feb 21, 2006.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

I'm trying to set up an FTP site on one of our servers for other companies to access. Each company will have their own folder set up on the server. I assume that most companies we deal with will use either win_ftp pro, cute ftp, or another free ftp client. How do i lock down security so that each company can only access the folder which it was "assigned" to?
    By the way, I am using windows 2000 server.

2. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Should just be a security permission setting you would need to set. i dont have much experience with Windoze servers, but i would guess they will have a user acount on the computer and you can grant that specific user read/write access to that one directory. :dunno:

If you cant find an answer, i'd consult google search with something like "windows 2000 ftp server folder permissions"

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

folder permissions. Don't make dirs/files listable under windows, whatever that setting is. Writable. Not deletable. A pub/incoming for them to upload.

but you need to lock down that ftp site if it's out in the public. You don't all of a sudden want 50 GB of pron, warez, and mp3's one day in some wierd ass com1/com/aux folder tree.

Or maybe you do... heh

4. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

i too an a bit unfamiliar with win 2000. There are two types of permissions under the folder properties. there is SHARING permissions, then there are security permissions.
    i need to set these each folder up so that 1) each company can only get to its assigned folder, and 2) employees within our network can get to these folders to view that files that the outside companies put onto the server.

what is the difference in sharing permissions and security permissions, to me, they would be the same.