Quick easy question about my BIOS - setting up my new computer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

So i just put my new computer together, but i had 2 simple questions about setting up my BIOS.

1. In my bios there is a option for "Optimal Performance", there is a Enable and Disable option. I would like my computer to run as good and fast as it can, but there is a caution at the bottom that says "Choosing this setting will cause your hardware to work harder than normal, it is not recommended you choose this setting if you are not sure what you are doing etc." Should i choose this? i have a very fast computer and very good cooling so i know it wont overheat. (my motherboard: Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce 3)

2. There is nother setting in my BIOS for the graphics card. I can choose to Auto Detect the AGP setting, which will automaticaly set the AGP to 4X/8X etc. on its own, or i can choose "8X" where the graphics card will always be set at 8X. I have a nice graphics card so should i leave it on Auto Detect or put it on always 8X AGP ?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It should auto detect just fine since there's a pretty easy way to detect 8x (more pins). As for optimal performance, I would refer to the manual to find out what this really does. Sounds like the turbo button on circa mid 90's computers :rofl:

3. __23skidoo

__23skidoo ...has the nuts

I would let your OS worry about Optimal performance.

Running 2000 or XP right click on my computer and look at advanced>performance.

It's generally not a good idea to muck with your BIOS unless you know what you're doing.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Like mentioned I wouldn't worry about either of those settings. Usually BIOS will have things like that; "Optimal, Default, Safe" Settings. Some options disable things you may need some enabled things -- chances are you won't gain anything by going to Optimal.

5. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ok, well i didnt mess with any of that, but i did just install Microsoft Service Pack 2, then i restarted my computer, and now my computer wont boot, it just keeps booting to the safemode selection screen, and when i try to start windows normaly it just restarts and comes back to that screen, I went into safemode and didnt notice anything that was wrong, what can i do now? im kind of stuck, im on my old computer right now so i can read this.

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

ok, just uninstalled Service Pack 2, and so far everything seems to work fine, back to normal. Man SP2 is really screwing up peoples computers, i went online to search in forums and it seems like everyone has had their computer messed up by it.