Quick clutch question!! v. Helpmeplease

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by schmooot, Jan 22, 2006.

1. schmooot

schmooot New Member

So I'm doin a clutch in my 83 tercel. I decided to change the pilot bearing while I'm in there, so I got the old bearing out, and I pull the new one out of the bag and it isnt enclosed!!! WTF!!!

Like I can see the bearings inside the race, I always thought it was enclosed and greased like so
    [​IMG]

But mine looks more like a wheel bearing
    [​IMG]

Packing it would be a bad idea methinks seeing as there is no seal to keep the grease from getting on the flywheel once everyhting is moving.

On the other hand, it looks to me like it would fail quite easily if I put it in dry.

What do I do?

All the parts searches I have done for this bearing show the enclosed one identical to the one I pulled out. Did they give me the wrong bearing or what?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If the bearing is the same size (I can't imagine it would be different), then you should be able to pry the seals off your old bearing and put them on the new one. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they expect you to order the seals separately and pack the bearing yourself. It's a quick and dirty fix, but it's not like you're going anywhere if you don't put your car back together.

EDIT: I assumed at first that the picture was accurate, and your old bearing has rubber or silicone seals. It occurs to me now that this may not be the case. If it has metal seals, you'll never get them loose and you'd never be able to make them fit safely on the new bearing even if you did get them off. If it does have rubber seals, they should come off just fine.