GUN Quick car carry question: AZ and CO

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwoGuns, Mar 23, 2005.

1. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I'm going to be driving through Arizona and Colorado this coming weekend and wanted to be absolutely clear on what's legal and not. I read the gun laws on the NRA website, but would like some confirmation just for peace of mind.

Arizona:

"It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation. This does not apply to firearms carried in a case, holster or scabbard in a means of transportation or a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation."

Colorado:

"A permit is not required to carry a handgun where carrying firearms is legal, if the handgun is not concealed. A handgun is not considered concealed if it is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who is carrying it for a legal use, or the handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state."

Both state laws consider a "firearm" a loaded or unloaded pistol, shotgun, or rifle.

From what I understand, In Arizona it's legal to carry a loaded pistol in the glove compartment, or in a holster on your hip, correct?

And in Colorado, I can have a loaded pistol anywhere in the vehicle?

Thanks to anyone who can put my mind at ease

2. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Check out www.packing.org ... even though the site is primarily for concealed carry holders, each state's page has a section on car carry laws, carrying without a permit, and peacable journey laws.

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Colorado's laws are pretty clear, but Arizona's are a bit odd. Not sure why it'd be illegal for me to have a loaded pistol in between my seat and the console, but legal for me to have in a holster on my hip.