quick applecare opinion question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rezin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. rezin

rezin Put it in the air with the chronic/ My lyrics like

i'm about to order a 15inch powerbook and i just can't decide if it's worth it or not. i have the money already so if i didn't get it i would get an ipod. so do you think it's worth it for the money?

2. dionx

dionx > OT Supporter

i think its worth it. if you buy an apple LCD at the same as your powerbook, the applecare will cover both your LCD and the powerbook without any additional costs.

you can buy applecare separately from your computer purchase as long as its within 90 days. the retail price is at least $300 but with student discount makes it above $200. buy it from a university online such as this site and you'd get the student discount without verification.

3. rezin

rezin Put it in the air with the chronic/ My lyrics like

ok, i think i'll get the ipod now and then maybe in a month get the warranty, thanks

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

you actually have 364 days to buy applecare.

5. trevor

trevor There's always a brand new day

I think the applecare is a gamble either way. I've had about 25 macs in my care since 1997 (small office) and we have never used/had the applecare. Of course, your mileage may vary. However, you need to ask yourself if you are the kind of person who needs that kind of tech support. Personally, I know how to fix most problems myself. The problems I have had with our macs have happened in the first year, so they are covered under Apples 1-year warranty.
    That being said, I have applecare on my 15" laptop. I got it because I broke my last laptop and it cost more to fix it then the laptop was worth. (I know Apple won't fix a drop but it made me paranoid)

6. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Well if I end up still having my iBook in July, I'll buy the Apple Care warrenty.

Oh, by the way, Apple Care in Canada has price dropped, it used to be $288 for a student and now its at $218 for a student, this is in CDN Dollars and its for an iBook :)

7. ahead

ahead New Member

just so you know, to repair a ibook out of warranty its $290ish and a powerbook is $330ish. if your a student, the first repair out of warranty pays for the applecare. ive always bought applecare for my Macs, never had to use it but its good to have just incase.

8. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I'll probably buy applecare for my powerbook as I get closer to a year...

It just arrived today and I've already put 20gig worth of stuff on it :noes:

9. ahead

ahead New Member

which one did you get?