SRS Questions to those who smoke/trying to quit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sportsjunkie, Nov 6, 2007.

1. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

Just a heads up, but I don't smoke.

I've lived with a smoker my whole life though (my father). He's tried to quit numerous times (the patch, gum, different drugs etc.)

I know it's hard to quit an addiction; especially since he's been doing it well over 30 yrs of his life.

But my question is, are you all considerate of those around you while smoking? I mean, my sister recently just had a baby and she moved into the basement to get away from the smoke, but my father still continues to smoke about 2 packs a day.

I've asked him to smoke outside, get a smokeless ashtray, open the window to his room while smoking all the possibilities, but he still won't do it. is it that hard to go smoke a cigarette outside? i mean we have a huge patio and deck he can go smoke out on.

i'm not asking him to quit cause smoking is the last thing he has to hold onto in his life, but how do i go about insisting he smoke outside?

*edit* btw, i don't know if this belongs here in this subforum :o

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

right subforum, yes

for me, as an ex smoker, i would care about others, but only to a certain point. I set my own self centered "boundaries" which i thought were fair...of course they were no such thing :rofl:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I always smoke outside, in the sun, in the rain, in the snow. It's bad enough that the cuffs of my jacket smell like smoke; I don't want my whole house to smell like it too.

Your father doesn't care. Maybe if you all made preparations to move out he'd get the message...or maybe he wouldn't, but then you'd move out and you'd all be better off for it.

EDIT: Depending on your age, this may be exactly your father's goal.

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i hear you, but i doubt it. the last thing he'd want is to have his kids move out :o
    but i'm planning to move out within the year

5. okietiger

okietiger New Member

as a smoker I am always considerate of non smokers. I smoke in my house but I wont in other peoples homes.

6. deusexaethera

I think smoking inside someone else's home is grounds to get punched in the face, isn't it? That totally trespasses the boundaries of consideration.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

wow that's mighty big of you.

8. buninader

buninader SMILE!!! I just got ******!!!

i cant even imagine lighting up in someone else's house without there permission

9. deusexaethera

:rofl:

Smokers get all the hate, don't they?