Questions regarding switching

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sHiFtY, Jan 21, 2005.

1. sHiFtY

sHiFtY New Member

Hi, thinking of switching over from PC to an G5 Imac, but have some q's.

Are all websites accessible on macs? I've heard of some banking sites not working? And would all java applets and the like run ok?

I need to learn excel for the career I want to get into, so if I learnt on the Mac, would using Excel then on a PC be pretty much the same?

Is built in bluetooth worth it? I have a Sony Ericcson BT phone but havent needed BT yet.

In a few years i'll be going to university, doing an economics/commerce bachelor's degree. I'll need a laptop. Do you think a powerbook/Ibook would be suitable? I'm not sure if the courses will require any specific software that might only work with PC's. I'm pretty sure i'll only require MS office software but not entirely sure.

Thanks.

2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

1) Welcome to the club. I made the same decision about 4 months ago and couldn't be happier.
    2) I have yet to have a problem viewing any websites on my Mac. I recommend using FireFox for the best experience. Just like on the PC, it's better then the standard OS browser.
    3) Yes, but it looks better on a Mac. As you select on a cell, it looks like it is floating and such. Pretty cool IMO.
    4) Yes. There have been more switchers due to the iBook and PowerBook then anything before. That will probably be changing with introduction of the Mac Mini. My GF uses a PowerBook for school and loves it.

3. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

1. I bought my first Mac just on this Monday. I have used eMacs at school for few months though. I really like it. :cool:
    2. I haven't had any problems so far. I also use online banking and I did not have any problem.
    3. They are pretty much same.
    4. I have PowerBook but iBooks are good as well.

4. sHiFtY

sHiFtY New Member

So MS Office on Mac is entirely compatible with PC's. I can save a spreadsheet in the mac version of excel and it will open up fine on a PC? And vice versa?

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I can DEFINITELY attest to built-in bluetooth. What I do with my SonyEricsson T610 and bluetooth is, I set up iSync to grab all contacts from my address book that have a phone number, and automatically dump them into the phone. Better yet, I recently started using iCal (apple's free datebook / organizer app), and I put my school schedule and other commitments in there, and it too syncs right up to the phone every time I run the program. :coold: I couldn't live without it at this point.

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Yes

7. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

Yes. Plus, I like MS Office 2004 for Macs better than one for Windows.

8. sHiFtY

sHiFtY New Member

question regarding connecting to the net..

When i get my G5 Imac, would I just plug my adsl modem into the ethernet port on the back of the Mac? With my PC atm, the modem is connected straight with the PC so I am able to do the same with my Mac?

I don't want to buy a router. I'm not networking with any other computers so I shouldn't need one.

When the modem is conected with the MAC and I turn the computer on for the first time, how to I configure everything?

Thanks.

Oh, also went into a mac store for the first time today, saw the 30' screen, I think it was... so beautiful!

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

plug it in and forget about it, OS X should have no problem autodetecting your DSL setup... it should grab from DHCP automatically.

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

while it will work fine connected directly just like your PC, it's really not a good idea these days to have any computer directly connected to a broadband internet connection as you're essentially leaving your machine exposed and open to the world. if you do decide to keep it directly connected, OS X does have a built-in firewall to help but i still have mine behind a router just to be safe as the router isolates all my machines on an internal network, leaving only the router with a publicly accesible IP address. if you want to use the web server on your mac, you'd just have to tell the router to redirect external requests for the proper port (usually port 80) to the internal IP address of your mac.

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

It's plug and play.