Questions on wireless LAN technologies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Firewall97, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Firewall97

Firewall97 Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I have some questions for anyone that knows anything about wireless LAN technologies. If you know the answer please post (the input is greatly appreciated). There are a total of 29 questions (its a practice test I have that I want to do). I will post them as I go.

2. Firewall97

1. From the following list, identify the types of wireless technology:

coaxial, Infrared, radio frequency, ultraviolet, microwave

3. samm

samm Next in Line

coaxial and ultraviolet are not wireles technologies. I believe the rest are.

Where in Iowa do you live?

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Negative. Coaxial and ultraviolet are wireless technologies.

All of them are wireless.

BTW, if you wish to research either of those, a simple Google search could help you out.

For Coaxial, do a search for LMR400 or RF400.
    For Ultraviolet, Here is a decent page. It's actually an article on Africa, but it still outlines ultraviolet radio and wireless technologies.

Next question please. ;)

5. Firewall97

Actually I looked up the answer; it is Radio, Infrared, and microwave only as listed wireless technologies. Is this correct? The answer guide said so today...

6. Mikel

Mikel .

Our resident Layer-1 expert strikes again. :bigthumb:

7. DatacomGuy

Well, if the answer guide controls your grades or how well you do in a class, follow it. You may wish to take it up with your teacher, though.

Coaxial and Ultraviolet technologies may not only be engineered directly for wireless, but are used and implemented. Actually, without coax, there is no wireless. All wireless towers, dishes, spans, etc all run off of coax or fiber.

RG8U or LMR400/RF400 coax. It's a nice 1/2" thick coax with a solid conductor and usually a handful of different braids and shields.

Like I said; double-check with your teacher and just make sure that the answer guide is correct.

8. DatacomGuy

:bigthumb:

9. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

:slap:

Coaxial is wired

and if you say ultraviolet in terms of computers usually means light.. which is fiber optics (sort of...) and that is also wired..

10. Mikel

Mikel .

Did you even read his posts? :confused:

11. DatacomGuy

:slap: Like Mikel said. You obviously didn't read any of my replies.

We'll take this one step at a time because obviously you need to be walked through this. I refuse to hold your hand though. That's what your mother is for.

Nothing is truly 100% wireless. You have to have a wire of some sort on each end of the connection points. From the point of signal distribution (such as tower, radio span, ISP sat's, etc) you have Coax. RG8 LMR400 and RG213 coax (as named by Times Microwave, or RF400 as named by Belden). Coax is the single most used form of wireless technology distribution. Have you ever looked up at a wireless tower, whether it be Cellular, PCS, or whatever? Ever see those thick bundles of black cables running down the tower? 95% of those cables are coax (unless its a full fiber distribution setup, but those aren't fully popular yet), 3% are fiber, and 2% are power/control/tray cables.

Ultraviolet. We're not even talking about computers, we're talking about wireless technologies. And no, ultraviolet and Fiber Optics have nothing to do with each other (unless fiber is the source of media up to the point of distribution). Fiber light sources from from laser or LED sources, and have NOTHING to do with ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light would not travel over glass, and will not stay within the fiber jacket leaving ultraviolet useless. Ultraviolet is much like radio frequencies. If you read any of my posts above, you would see that I directed everyone to read this website as it properly describes ultraviolet's purpose with wireless technologies.

Now I can see where the confusion may lie. The question was worded incorrectly. They simply asked which are forms of wireless technologies, and the answer is all of them. Now if they reworded to ask 'which are forms of wireless distribution', or 'in what forms are wireless signals travelled to their destination host', then the three answers given would be proper.

Here are some research resources for you:

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/telecom/pdf/lmr pg 12.pdf
    http://bwcecom.belden.com/College/Prodbull/np157.pdf

If you don't choose to 'believe me' then thats fine. Doesn't make a difference. I only spec and design these systems on a daily basis. :uh: I've given you all the background and 'proof' needed to make my case. The rest is up to you. It's not a friggen fairy-tale.. its simple wireless design. Don't mean to come across cocky and arrogant, but this is what I do for a living.. so trust me. Fair enough? ;)