A&P Questions on Sunpak flash/turbo battery, and a few photos for C+C

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Dec 5, 2007.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I was given a Sunpak Auto555 flash with a Quantum Turbo Battery yesterday, but I have no experience with handle mount flashes. . .to be honest, I have very little experience with external flashes altogether.

The flash itself is missing the battery pack that goes in the top, any idea if it should it work if only plugged into the turbo battery?

I tried powering on the battery and test firing the flash, but its not working. There's a good chance that I'm just being an idiot and missing something here. Like I said before, I know next to nothing about this flash (hell, it may be broken :dunno: ). Any suggestions are welcome. I've pretty much got the on/off button figured out, but tips on anything else I may be ignorantly overlooking are welcome :o

Another equipment question. . .I'm looking for a cheap optical slave flash. There is literally no requirement other than it being cheap. Its for a project and will probably rarely be used in the future.

Here are three photos for C+C. . .I tried to eliminate the 'pelf' in these (it took me forever to figure out what the hell you guys were talking about with that :o )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wavey: Thanks guys.

2. spizarxxx

spizarxxx DSLR, GSD, DJ CREW & OT's Resident On Air Personal

the pics a re super super super plain and boring...

3. eof

eof New Member

:werd:

Not interesting at all.

4. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

What do you consider cheap.

I'm using Sigma EF500DG Super's with built in O/S with success, no misfires even in the brightest of daytime light, will trigger from a 580 @ 1/32 power no problem.

Even cheaper, buy the cheapest manual adjustable flash you can, vivitar 285, 283 etc and use a sonia o/s or wein peanut. Just make sure the trigger voltages are rather high on the flash.

The Nissin o/s works well too, they are pricey in Sydney though.

:greddy:

5. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Fair enough, thanks for the input :) I took part of a roll of IR on the same outing, I'm hoping that I got something decent on it. . .won't be able to tell for a few more days though, I don't have much free time in the darkroom because of finals :hs:

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'd say <$100 :o

I wouldn't mind paying a little more if it meant getting a much better flash. . .but at the same time, if I find something really cheap (even if it doesn't work on my camera :o ) that has a built in o/s trigger I'd be ecstatic. That doesn't seem very likely though :mamoru:

A local photo store has a used vivitar 283 for like $45, I may go buy that at lunch. I'm hoping they have some type of o/s trigger in stock, but I wouldn't bet on it. . .they usually don't have much of a selection.

I've heard that the vivitar 283/285 (and several other flashes, for that matter) can damage DSLR's. I've got a D40x for at least another month or two until I upgrade (probably a D80), any idea if the vivitar 283 will work with both of those?

7. kristin

kristin my dog > *

From what I've heard, the vivitars damage the dSLR's because of the high voltage. I think a lot of people buy them as off camera flashes so they don't ruin the camera

8. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Well I think I figured it all out. . .I'm buying that used Vivitar 283 w/ omnibounce for $45 when I go on break. From what I can tell thats a decent price (assuming its in the condition they stated), especially considering the shop I'm buying it from. They're usually wayyyy overpriced :hs: but its the only place in town that keeps RC paper and IR film in stock, so I usually don't have a choice.

I finally found out that my D40x can handle a flash up to 250V, so the 283 should work fine on the camera as well.

Oh, and I'm buying a wein peanut slave for $22 while I'm there. That price actually didn't seem too bad compared to what I found online :dunno: at this point it doesn't really matter if I can find it a little less expensive elsewhere, because I have to have this stuff by the weekend :o

9. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

The peanut will work fine with the 283 :hs:

Enjoy brobot, think of me when you are doing the stttttroooobbbbbiiiiisssst