COMIC Questions on scanning comics...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Highlander_77, May 14, 2007.

1. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

I'd like to start scanning some books to upload for everyone's enjoyment here...but I'm kind of new to this (not scanning in general, mind you...just scanning comics). I have a few questions for those who have done this in the past.

These don't have to do with settings and image editing and such...that stuff I've pretty much got figured out. What I'm having an issue with is the actual physical placement of the book on the scanner...

My scanner can handle, at most, an 8.5"x11.7" piece of paper. That's plenty for scanning a single page of a comic...though not large enough to fit the entire comic on the scanner at once (scanners large enough to do that apparently all cost ridiculous amounts of money). This means I have to place the comic sideways on the scanner, with part of the page opposite the one being scanned hanging off the side.

What's happening is that, because the book doesn't lie completely flat against the glass, the edge of the page along the spine, which lifts off the scanner glass slightly, comes out kind of blurry. Now, it's not really an issue for pages where there's a white border outside of all the panels...but for pages where the artwork goes all the way to the edge of the page, well...it's pretty noticeable.

Aside from putting some extra weight on top of the scanner lid to push the book down and get it completely flat on the glass (which, it seems to me, could damage the spine of the book), do any of you have any advice on how to deal with this? I don't see this edge blurring on any of the books that I've downloaded...even on pages that have artwork going all the way to the edge. So I know someone must have figured out how to deal with it.

Also, I've noticed in a couple issues that I've downloaded that there were splash panels that stretched across 2 pages in which there was absolutely no seam visible where the spine of the book would have been. It was absolutely perfect. I can't imagine how this was acheived...just wondering if anyone might have an idea (I'm not extremely concerned about that...because in plenty of the books I downloaded there were visible seams down the middle of two-page spreads...so I'm not going to beat myself up if I can't figure it out).

2. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

No advice? :(

3. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

I'm curious how they get rid of the paper texture in the scans.