MIL Questions on Joining.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by emma_100, Nov 1, 2005.

1. emma_100

emma_100 :hay:

Hey People.

From Reading around a little I get the impression that ya get a lot of- I am thinking of joining, bla bla bla threads. So I hope that I do not bore you too bad. lol.

I am 19 and in college, getting a bachelor of science degree. I have wanted to join the military for quite some time, and am thinking that I would like to join after school as a medic. Then, possibly go for med school and work as a doctor for the service.

Here is where the questions come in. First of all, what branch do i want to join? Navy? i know they have got good medics and doctors, but what about the other branches. I know the Marines use Navy docs, but other branches have their own, no?

Also, I am female, and was wondering a woman's perspective on all of this. I am still WAY young now but if this is what I will be doing as a career then I wonder about what it would be like having a family and serving. I suppose you boys who got families and what not have a pretty good idea of life like that too.

2. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Does your school have a ROTC program? If so then you may want to look into going that route... you are only 19 and still have that option.

3. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

totally ROTC is your best bet and if you join and become an officer you can make some bank compaired to being enlisted

4. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

:x: ur not suppsed to give away the surprise ah well :wavey: mama, and the new girl. 19 isnt young to be thinkin about it. Since ur tryin to go medic I'll leave the serious stuff to someone else since I know jack shit about it. So.... got any pics ??

5. emma_100

Yup, officer it will be, that is one thing that I have been told over and over again and does it ever make perfect sence. About ROTC, I am currently in school in canada, so we do not have that here. I might be transfering south though and so if I do, I will look into it and pick a school at which i can make that happen.

And on the issue of pics... um, nope. lol. wonder if y'all can read those words or if i will have to say it 15 more times by the end of this thread, lol.

Thank you guys for your responses and nice to meet you all.

6. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Hahaha what was that on the pics ? YES?? well you can send em to my email at... i kid i kid. If you plan on goin O like me and a couple of other ppl on this board id say go Marine Corps since im biased like that but since u want to be a medic go Navy :big grin: . Honestly tho I hear in the army if you can make it through med school you get commissioned as a Capt(you skip the first 2 Officer ranks completely). Someone here had a friend who did that not long ago and one of my buddies in ROTC is plannin on doin that, i'll ask around when I go back to school tomm(I commute).

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Good advice.

Look into it if you can.

8. emma_100

To be quite honest, if i were a man, i would LOVE to be a marine. But, since I am no man (and no, you can not have pictures) I think that for me this will be the next best thing. I would like to work the medical fields, I want to do something where I can be 100% resource and 0% drain, or well, the damn closest to that that I can pull, I hope that this will give me the opportity to achieve that. I am not saying that you are better then us (cause we all know that we would have to be the superior sex) but I accept there are certain jobs that certain people are better suited for. I am strong but I am no 6'' 200lb man, so I strive to fine a niche where I will be able to do the best at what I do. Am a making sence or just digging myself a nice little hole here? :ugh: hehehe.

9. RedCapote

RedCapote New Member

Shame you do not have ROTC. That really would be ideal.

Would transferring to an inexpensive state school with good financial aid and a good ROTC program be an option for you before you begin your Junior year?

10. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

You can be a Corpsman with the Navy.

11. emma_100

ya, red, it would be. I am a freshman this year and i could prolly pull that for my jr. year. my parents are moving to Az, and my dad has a position at the University of Arizona, so I think we get a tuition break. I will have to look into what the deal there is with the ROTC program.

12. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Roger on the pics :wtc: hahah ( u know im just kidding right?) but anyway on to the business at hand www.nrotc.net , just for you. Now wheres my damned cookie ? :big grin:

13. emma_100

Rod, ty for that link. Awesome. Cookie huh? *Emma offers Rod a chocolate chip cookie* :big grin: there y'are.

EYOB, nope, I feel no obligation to join any particular service. And, yea, I am fit enough. I messed up my shoulder and had to have it fixed up this year but that will get better and I will be back to normal me in no time.

14. RedCapote

RedCapote New Member

Emma, I think you have a great 'IN' with your father having a position at the University of Arizona. That, coupled with scholarship assistance from the ROTC, would make things a lot easier.

In regards to which service you might select, I found through some research that at the UofA, the Air Force detachment seems to be quite strong. One of the better ones in the country. You'd have to expect that, given its location in the southwestern United States. I can also say from previous life experience that the Air Force has the highest quality of life on its bases, especially if you're an officer.

I think this really would do well to launch your career, no pun intended. Check out the AFROTC webpage for UofA here
    --> http://afrotc.arizona.edu/

Their contact info is on the lower left. Good luck and please keep me informed of your progress!

15. Accord

Accord New Member

My friend kind-of did the same thing that you want to do. He joined the army out of high school and became a veterinary tech, was in for 4 years and finished his degree in biology while in the army, then applied to the army's vet doctor program thing and now he's currently at NCSU vet school on the governments dime.

16. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

SWEET normally that doesnt work, and u even picked out my fav kind Chocolate chip :wiggle::drool:

edit: O an np for the link always willing to help out an Officer Gonnabe, if you have any further ?'s you can call me at ... wait this isnt a personals add and there are eyes watching us *looks around to make sure mama doesnt see*

17. emma_100

:rofl: Rod

TY red, I suppose that considering there is an AF base in Tuscon where UofA is it would make sence that they are close.

Link is great to, both have been bookmarked.

18. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

there is also an army base in tucson. Ft huachuca

19. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

If you are good looking, come into the Air Force. If not, one of the other branches would be happy to have you.

20. emma_100

LMAO. If that be your requirement I got it covered, and no, I will not post pics to prove it.

21. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

Air Force it is then.

22. RedCapote

RedCapote New Member

Air Force always has had the best looking nurses and medical field wimmins. :hsughc:

23. RedCapote

RedCapote New Member

Overall? Yea, you're right. Air Force wimmins make me Aim High :big grin:

24. emma_100

well, if that be the case, i would think twice before signing up AF. hmm, I should look and see if I can find decriptions in different branches...

I found these on different branches:
    http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/
    http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/
    http://www.armymedicine.army.mil/

They do seem to present themselves quite differently, from that AF doesnt seem quite as appealing, but I will keep looking into 'em all. Thank you guys~ been really helpful, anything else ya got, shoot :) ty ty ty.

25. RedCapote

RedCapote New Member

Don't be fooled by websites... you want a nice tranquil life with good housing and good pay? Go Air Force. I still kick myself for being too gungho and wanting to go Army.

In order of most sexually fulfilled by civilians... Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force

In order of who has the most valid complaints about quality of life... Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force

In order of who gets paid least... Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force

I'm not sure but I think there's a pattern. When the gungho wears off, who do you want to work for in the long run? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005