A&P Questions on exposure compensation

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by badkarma, Dec 19, 2007.

1. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I don't own an SLR but I have a couple of questions for those that do.

1) For exposure compensation, is it always the f stop that will increase or decrease? Or do they both adjust based on the exact compensation desired? (I would assume so)

2) Can exposure compensation be used in Tv and Av modes (granted these modes be available)? Right now, I am under the assumption that it is just in auto? But I am not sure, hence my question. It would be nice to know that I can use exposure compensation and AEB in both of these modes but I am completely sure.

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

EC will work in Tv and Av. When you use it, it messes with whatever the other setting would be (like EC in Tv changes Av and EC in Av changes Tv) but those values arent fixed. If you meter scene A in Tv and for 1/500 of a second it says you need f/4, you can dial in +1EC to get f/5.6. However, if you go to scene B and its twice as bright, the camera will try to meter to f/5.6 to get the right exposure and the actual f number youll be using would be 8.

I dont know about any other modes because Ive never used Auto, any of the scene modes, or P (or A-dep). Mostly just Av or M for me.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

That is perfect, thanks for the answer! It pretty much explained every thing I was wondering about. Great example as well. I can see that using EC would be more precise in Av due to the adjustments it can make with your shutter (instead of relying on getting a precise compensation in Tv mode when it has to adjust the f/stop) as well.

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

also i would consider reading the manual too. lots of other nifty things in there.

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Lost me there...

Just beware that whatever you do, the only STATIC change is the EC itself. As light changes, the camera will adjust itself to whatever a "correct" exposure should be +/- whatever your EC is. Even in Av mode, if you use EC to change your shutter speed, and then the scene brightens (or darkens) your shutter values will change accordingly.

Think of EC as more of a blanket SHIFT among whatever the other value is. Nothing is static aside from the amount of SHIFT.

Make sense?

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

That does make sense :) Sorry I had worded what I had said awkwardly. It's quite simple when you understand it, but kind of confusing when you first begin to read about it. Thanks so much!