GUN Questions on building an AR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 7, May 3, 2003.

1. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I was browsing some threads on here and saw that kellyclan said that ar15.com was a great AR site. I was bored so I started looking through it, read the rifle primer and was suprised how cheap it was to build your own as compared to buying (Although the article needs updated a bit, he said that pre-ban lowers go for about $400, more like $900 from what I've seen). I browsed around the different manufacturers and came up model1sales.com. I noticed they sell both pre-ban and post-ban uppers/kits. What exactly is the difference here? I understand that you have to have a pre-ban lower for it to be considered a pre-ban rifle and all but I dont understand this upper thing. Also, anyone have an good recommendations? I don't want to buy no-name crap but some bushmaster/armalite/etc kits are pretty expensive. Model 1 seems to have pretty good deals, their kits are complete less the stripped lower. I'm just looking for something that would be fun to shoot, not for home protection or anything like that. I've been looking at 16" CAR kits and M4 kits, probably opt for and A3 upper with the removable handle or something of the likes. Anyone have any thoughts or reccomendations?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

for utmost quality and repuation and service, go bushy. it's worth it in the long haul.

if you want to save a few bucks, you can part an AR together. if you do that, i'd recommend a rock river arms lower and a bushmaster upper. you could get a complete RRA rifle, also, but bushmaster's barrels are chrome lined and made of a better grade barrel steel, and to military specs, whereas RRA's aren't. also, if you want a match trigger, you could get that in your RRA lower. you would save about $50 by doing the RRA/Bushmaster thing, but you wouldn't get the warranty from either company, the case that bushmaster sends their rifles in (about a $20 case), or the free magazine (a 10-rd. mag) that comes with the bushmaster.

also, when considering the trigger, decide whether you're a more target-minded shooter or a more tactical shooter. if you're just going to be putting holes in paper, consider the extra bucks for the two-stage trigger on the RRA.

i don't know your area's prices, but here in GA, i can get a bushmaster 16" heavy-barreled A3 for $850 out the door. take off about $100 for an A4 model, and about $50 for an A2.

the thing about prebans is that they allow you to get all the goodies, like collapsible stocks, flash hiders, and bayonet lugs on your upper. if your lower is postban, all you've got to do is wait until the ban sunsets in september of 2004, then have your barrel threaded for a flash hider, and throw on a collapsible stock. if you can't wait that long to be able to do that, then go buy a preban lower. just remember, the sunsetting of the ban is almost a sure thing, and you'll be out the money once it does sunset. it's up to you whether you can afford it or need to wait.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Preban/postban upper thing:

The only part of the AR that is considered a gun by law is the lower receiver.

So it is perfectly legal to build and sell preban configuration uppers. In fact, you could have an upper mailed directly to your door. It's not the part that makes a gun a gun, according to law. However, the preban upper can only legally be mated with a preban lower.

The $400 quote for a preban lower is a bit dated, although once in awhile you might find a low quality cast lower for that cheap. The rates for a quality forged lower (which is more durable and in demand) are at least $800 or so, and often up to $1200 for a desired Colt or Bushmaster made.

The JT kits are the most popular kit choice. Mate that with a postban Eagle Arms lower for about $100 and you can easily come in under the $700 mark. Although the extra $100 or so might be worth it for the warranty, building your own can be quite satisfying.

Talk to Pete at Legal Transfers www.ar15sales.com [email protected] , he sells complete guns, lowers, built up kits, etc.

Great guy, he'll give you a reasonable price if you have your heart set on a preban too.

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

You east coast guys get scrwed on preban prices. I just bought a total preban Colt for $1300.
    You also might want to try AR15.com's equipment exchange and buy your lower there.

Personally, I would only buy Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, & Rock River AR parts.

5. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i got a post ban match target colt for $1100

to me spending a few extra bucks and gettin the orginal is well worth it

6. footratfunkface

not to me. bushmaster is cheaper, better, and easier to get parts for. their service is amazing if you ever have problems.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I need to save up some more money :hs: Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to do this over the summer, I don't play paintball much anymore and have the constant need for something to tinker with, modify, etc.

8. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

im really good friends wtih a guy that owns a gun shop.. i have no issues getting parts and service :big grin:

9. footratfunkface

i'm on pretty good terms with a several shop owners, but i don't count on them to supply me with parts. if a part isn't available through several distributors, for cheap, and in all geographic locations, the weapon it's for is useless.

10. bushmaster all the way...the reason building a gun is cheaper is the mfg'er has to pay excise tax on every gun they build, so putting one together is cheaper...don't waste money on a pre-ban..because the crime bill comes up again in 2004...and we had bush's word that he would not sign it again..i'm not saying he will keep his word...i'm just saying you never know...

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Guest

Here's some advice for you. I've done it a few times and it works; have fun:

$85 for a stripped lower. Check
    http://assaultweb.net. There is a guy there who gets gobs of lowers from a military contractor. Many have bought and all are satisfied. Check over there on the "For Sale" section and see if there are there at the moment. If not, there will be more soon. Brand names are like Ford vs. Chevy, everyone has their favorite. Oh, and Hesse is like the Pinto -- stay away.

$50 for a LPK (lower parts kit). They can be found quite often on
    www.ar15.com. Just stick with a name brand part here. DPMS is a common LKP used for builds and is the most economical.

$45 or so for a stock and internals. People are always selling them at
    www.ar15.com becuase they have upgraded. Sometimes they are way cheaper. Doesn't really matter on make here.

$325 for an upper off of
    www.eBay.com. Some will have bolt carrier groups, some you will have to buy. IMHO, just get a Bushmaster or Colt carrier group and you will be set if you don't land one with a winning bid already in an upper. As far as the upper itself goes, get a good one with a label. Don't get one that says "FN" or "Fabrique National". Most likely this is built by someone more on a budget than you and it won't work right. I've been there (a few times).

Grand total on the rifle = $505 (give or take depending on market at time of shopping).

The satisfaction of building your own AR and learning how it works --
    Priceless.

Anything else, holler.