Questions on adding an additional wireless router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PowerTrip, Aug 29, 2008.

1. PowerTrip

PowerTrip OT Supporter

I'm having a hard time trying to setup a second wireless router in my home. I know that you can't just do a "plug and play" with the second wireless router. Any advice would help.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Lot's of options - the easier being using a separate SSID, not using the WAN port, disabling the DHCP server on the new router and finally connecting the two via an ethernet cable on the LAN side. From there - it gets more complicated.

3. doubledave

doubledave New Member

I've done it before because I wanted a private internal LAN that I could share among my computers freely but also provide wireless internet access with no WEP to my neighbors without them being able to snoop my local network in case I forget to have a software firewall turned on.

Turn off wireless on one of the routers or make sure they use different SSIDs like 5Gen_Prelude says, and set them to different channel numbers. Also, if you want to plug the WAN port in the the LAN port of another, make sure they run off a different subnet, for example, one is 192.168.1.xxx and the other 192.168.2.xxx. Some routers default to 192.168.0.xxx. If you plug a lan port into a lan port, turn off DHCP on one of the routers. If what you want is to have more ethernet ports than one router provides, use a network hub or better a switch plugged into one of the router LAN ports. I have 3 5-port switches plugged into 3 of the 4 LAN ports on my D-Link router, so I can plug in up to 13 wired computers plus wireless on the same local network.

4. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

yeah do the different subnet. that was screwing me over when I tried to add a second router.
    I had my primary router at 192.168.0.1 and I had to put the secondary router at 192.168.1.1