questions for the paint guys....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by My Dixie Wrecked, Apr 1, 2002.

1. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

i went to ask about my paint job i got because my 96, thats right my 1996 ford t-bird is rusting. mike, the guy who owns the shop that painted it, said its not covered by the warranty at all because the car rusting has nothing to do with the paint. the paint is from dupont and has a 5 yr warranty, which for me ends in august. so he told me to talk to a guy up at blue ridge auto about it since they deal with dupont and thats where mike gets the paint. he said about the same thing, the metal was going to rust no matter whats done on the surface, even if it wasnt painted. now i understand, i think, that if the metal rusted from the inside and through to the outer side, hes right. but heres my questions. if the rust started between the paint and the outer side of the metal, does that imply bad prep work? if not, what could be the cause? can he be liable for it? i really dont want to spend a couple 1000 for a new job seeing it cost over $3000 in the first place.

2. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

If the paint job rusted from the inside out, what protectant was used inside? If it rusted between the paint an the part it was indded due too poor prep work and care while doing the job. Is he liable?? Good Question, What does your bill say? Does he warranty his work? Was there a chip, crack, or some other variable that caused the problem? Alot of questions. Personally I would suspect that if the paint is intact and there is rust, and he warrants his work, he should fix it..