questions befor my shop opens

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Raj, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Raj

Raj who fucking cares

Can i have some general advice or words of wisdom for starting our own shop.

Me and a friend who are in highschool(we are seniors) already have located a garage that we can rent out at a very low price through a friends parents. And for our first big promotion we are placing flyers of our business at all the nice cars up at a Nationwide Tour(pga golf minor league) golf event in our town. I just need some general advice on pricing and what service to offer, as well as any must have products that i need. Just any general advice would be great.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What detailing experience do you have?

Also, make sure at the golf event you have permission to put flyers on vehicles.

3. Raj

Raj who fucking cares

ive detailed my car, my dads, and my g/f's

ive detailed my car a total of 5-6 times

and why do i have to have permission?

4. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

5. perry

perry burp

How much do you think the sponsors of the event had to pay? Do you think the course owners will be happy with you trying to get free advertising from their event? Think they might be upset enough to call the police and have you removed? Think all those high end car owners will be happy with you placing flyers on their cars?

IMHO, you should try working for a local detailing shop to learn the ropes before you try opening your own shop. Not saying that your very own shop wouldn't work, but that you'd probably be more successful if you learned the ropes of the business first before hanging your own sign up. Three cars isn't all that much.

What products did you use on the cars you have detailed? Happy with them?

Pricing depends on what your market will bear. Services depends on what your clients want and what you can sell them.

6. Raj

Raj who fucking cares

the thing is im not trying to make it a full time job i would be happy doing just 3 cars a week if you get what i mean i only need some money to go out and pay for gas

7. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

let me start out by saying that your intentions are good but I don't think this will work.. First off your only experience has been detailing 3 cars? Second problem is what products do you plan on using? Do you have a pc or will you be applying products by hand? What if you burn through someones clearcoat? How good are you? I am not at all trying to discourage you but there are some things you might want to consider. Either way best of luck in your venture.

Good Luck!
    Emilio

8. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I hate when people put fliers on my car.

I don't mind when they're in my door. On my mailbox is more annoying then in my door though--at least in the door they made an attempt to do something.

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I think you should register at www.autopia.org and really go though the threads in the professional detailer's forum. There is a plethora of information that just cannot be condensed into a single thread.

I think you should start off doing neighbor's and friend's cars first. You may be able to properly detail a well care for family member's car but what about a Suburban that has a completely trashed interior filled with pet hair? How about a 15 year old Taurus with an oxidized single stage paint job? It would be great if you could only chose to do garage queens but in the real world that isn't the case.

I don't want to discourage you but you really need to think this through a bit more before renting out space and getting cars with problems beyond your expertise.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Because it can be illegal in some areas!

You should also probably get a LOT more experience in detailing.

Is this a garage on a house you're renting out to work in?

I don't know how serious you plan on setting up this shop but for a part time job for gas/spending $ you don't really need a garage.

If you are serious about setting up this business, then you need to do the leg work first. Go ahead and work with your friend and write up a business plan. It's something you can do in an afternoon and you can find info on the internet about what all needs to be in it. A BP isn't something required but when working with a partner it's nice to put all your goals down on paper and be able to get an idea of start-up costs, monthly expenses, a marketing plan, etc.

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:werd: When I get them, I make sure to NOT patronize the business that put the flyer on there.

12. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I can pretty much guarantee I have cleaned worse. How about this 1986 Toyota truck? Yes, I know the images are reversed but that is how they ended up on the picture CD. :sad2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attention Raj-see above for what you will have to be prepared to deal with at times.

13. sony

sony Active Member

:bowdown:Damn you made the leather look GOOD! :bigthumb:

14. RedGoober4Life

He even fooled you into thinking it was leather! :wiggle:

15. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

:werd: when im with a few buddies and we see that shit, we'll follow the guy by about 1 car and take all the flyers off... that shits fuckin annoying, Im sure a lot of people dont want some douchebag making min wage (not referring to u raj) touching their vehicles either...

16. Raj

Raj who fucking cares

:dunno: :dunno:

we will give it a try and see what happens

17. RedGoober4Life

You're going to spend more time per car then what you think. :)

This always happens with customer cars. With my car, I sometimes say "blegh, that can wait until next time" haha, but, customer cars, you have to do everything 110% the first time. Or you don't get happy customers. And when you're starting out, you need happy customers. When you get quite a bit of customers, and you get one sour puss that doesn't like your work (even if it really is the best you could do) then well, you have to learn to say oh well. But...make them happy now. Regardless.

18. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:rofl:

19. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I work security at a place that prohibits distribution of literature. When we see people putting them on cars, we make them go back and pull all of them off. It's great!

20. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

It's going to fail. You have no insurence (good luck trying to get it) no experience.. right now doesnt seem like a buisness plan or product list. Starting off isn't cheap. And cleaning mommy and daddy's car is not detailing. Good luck tho.

21. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

Hell you don't even know why you have to have permission to place flyers out..You need to go to college first and work on your buisness aspects. That could be illegal in places..so is placing flyers in mail boxes, etc..

22. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

And I assume he's got all the related licenses and a state tax id etc etc etc