A&P Questions about the D70/D100

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by enexgee, Jan 11, 2005.

1. enexgee

enexgee New Member

I'm about to buy one of these with my tax return money. I have some questions about the lenses. I have some older Nikkor lenses from a Minolta XE-7. Will these lenses work on the Nikon?

anything else i should know about lenses?

2. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

should work no problem

Get a D70 over a D100

3. enexgee

enexgee New Member

thanks! why a d70?

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

yeah, why the d70 over the d100?

5. PRMike

PRMike Guest

Nonsense. Get the D100 unless you're newer to photography. if you get into the Pro features get a D100 it's essentially a upgrade to the D1X however not quite as fast. Regardless the quality of photo will outshine a Rebel easily.
    Rebel and D70 are very Prosumer where as the D100 is more affordable pro cam... in the same Price range I'd say the Canon 20D however they use a cheaper sensor, and I have yet to see anybody who raves about this thing have any actual prints. I have checked the camera out and thought it was rather nice, especially the focusing system w/ so many spots to choose from, but the cheap CF door still gets me as well as the CMOS.

6. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

D70 is newer, has better features etc and cheaper.

there are lots of reviews, read dpreview.com on the D70. also kenrockwell.com is a nikon fanboy.

The D100 was a "pro" camera when it was released. The D70 is newer and is a "prosumer" camera so you get the pro features you need at a cheaper price. basically.

7. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

holy misinformed noob batman.

first of all, the D70's controls are better than the rebel's. Compared with the D70, the D100 is not "more affordable" when you include camera features.

The 20D does not use a "cheaper sensor", by all accounts the 20D's sensor is fucking brilliant. And CMOS vs CCD has no bearing on quality, it's true that the earlier cameras used CMOS and being early gen they had more noise, but these days companies can make a great CCD or a great CMOS. Who cares.

But, you know... thanks for coming :wavey:

8. PRMike

PRMike Guest

It's newer yes, but it doesn't have the pro features. It's a little faster, but all the manual tweakings you can do in a D1x D2H or D100 ect aren't there.
    The only thing I really like on the 70 is the faster speed with the on board Flash, but if you're really into shooting you won't be using that anyway.

The D70 has more Noise than the D100 as well.

9. PRMike

PRMike Guest

Thanks for the smart ass remark but A: That information is from Pro sites, personal experience and my guy I buy everything through.
    The 20D uses a CMOS because it's cheaper and they run filters on it to get a better quality... however what's this mean for the PRO? You can't do IR photography with a 20D.
    The D70 DOES NOT have all the bells and whistles of the D100.

and as for the Newbie comment since you want to play the I have more posts than you so I can be an asshole routine... My work is in Rolling Stone Magazine which is more than I can say for you.

Have a nice day.

10. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

The D100 is on its way out . In terms of technology and features, the D70 beats the D100 in almost every way .

There are a few things with the D100 that the D70 does not have, typical of a professional's camera -- whereas the D70 is a consumer oriented camera:

Metal Body
    Mirror Lockup shooting mode
    Larger and Brighter viewfinder -- The D100 uses a prism instead of pentaprism in the D70.

If you need these things, you should probably be considering the D2H instead of the D100 . A new D2H is only $1,999 these days . You'll be gaining a higher flash sync as well (D100 1/180sec , D2H 1/250 + FP mode , D70 1/500sec) . Then there's the more accurate metering systems in both the D70 and D2H , iTTL flash compatibility -- Very nice with SB-800s . . . yadda yadda yadda

11. hash browns

:squint:

You're probably wrong about this , but indeed there are some small details missing on the D70 that the D100 has -- Like an AF-S / AF-C toggle switch right on the body . You have to go through a menu to change this on the D70 .

12. PRMike

PRMike Guest

The D100 isn't Metal for one..... and for 2 Moose Peterson himself made the statement about more noise.

Also i own a D70 AND a D100. The D70 is great for the go out put it on an auto setting and shoot lazy day. Plus you have the buffer so you can shoot and shoot forever. However this really makes the cam S_L_O_W. I forget all the details between the 2 but I know if it was one or the other I'd take the 100 any day. As for what was said above I never said the Rebel was better so I think he needs to read before he responds.. I like cannon they always had great lenses, but they seem to rush their products out where Nikon takes time and does it right. I notice everyday the more and more I work that the people using Canons are the ones who want extreme speed to take 500 shots and than go home to spend hours on Photoshop where as the guys who know what they are doing don't need to shoot 500shots and hope one looks good have Nikon.

13. hash browns

The D100 has a metal , magnesium alloy - based body .

14. PRMike

PRMike Guest

Where are you getting this info I'm holding my camera and I can assure you it's not Metal.

This is a fine testiment to the I have more posts so I know more than you...

Here's the facts.
    "[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Unlike the D1X which uses an alloy body, the D100's body is made of a polycarbonate plastic which makes it much lighter and yet solid enough for most environments."
    Right off a cam site.
    [/size][/font]

15. hash browns

I heard the same quote used to describe the D70 .

16. PRMike

PRMike Guest

Thats because they're both [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]polycarbonate plastic.
    [/size][/font]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  17. hash browns

I heard the 20D has an alloy based body as well .

I dont own a D100 , so I guess we'll just take your word on it .

mkay ?

:hs:

18. PRMike

PRMike Guest

actually that's my bad I remember holding the 20D at Best Buy of all places thinkin it was super light, but that's because it had a cheap lense on it and I'm used to my big 72MM which weighs mine down pretty good.
    Anybody who says anything with Metal VS: Poly is going overboard I've yet to hear of anybody busting their body, if anything it's the lense. Let's face it I doubt anyone looking for a cam on here is going to be shooting photos in Iraq, no need for the alloy.

I believe it was the initial reviews before the 20D hit stands saying it was plastic because I remember reading a review on DP about the Mark 2 Vs the 20D and justifying the 2k for a metal body was insanity...although at the time the prototype models didnt have a spot meter either which was my initial turn off. They fixed this, but still left the poorly constructed/placed CF door.

19. hash browns

The Metal VS Poly thing isn't such a huge deal, and sometimes it's a relief to carry a lighter polycarb D70 body when you've been lugging around a D2H all day . I've handheld a 300mm f/2.8 for an hour long session and that is indeed heavy .

Edit: The 20D still doesn't have a spot meter . :squint:

20. PRMike

PRMike Guest

The 20D does have one, the moment they got one in at Ritz my guy called me and had me come up so he could show me they took care of it.
    I wouldn't mind having one if it wasnt for the fact all my gear is Nikon. I can't wait to see what they put out next to go along those lines. Even the new 12MP cam is looking very promising.

21. hash browns

Are you sure it's not a Center-Weighted meter ?

22. PRMike

PRMike Guest

The webs till has different info I'll have to go look again to be 100% positive...maybe it just has the center weighted and not a true spot. I'm reading this now...

• Evaluative 35 zone
    • Partial (9% at center)
    • Center-weighted average
    • Metering range: 1 - 20 EV (at 20°C, ISO 100)

23. PRMike

PRMike Guest

I guess the Canon guys find that good enough haha.. it's always funny being a Nikon shooter and you're sales man is all about Canon. he's straight forward though and constantly bashes the Rebel ha.

24. enexgee

enexgee New Member

thanks for all the information. i'm pretty set on the D70 now. Just got to wait until my tax return comes. :)

25. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter