MIL Questions about the Army...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lorenzo Lamas, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Lorenzo Lamas

Lorenzo Lamas OT Supporter

I am thinking pretty seriously about serving as an officer in the Army. I am 22, turned in August, and will have my Masters in Economics this May. I have talked with a recruiter, taken the ASVAB, and looked at a lot of information online (here, army.com, armyocs.com, etc). I talked about with my family, and that went well.

I just want help getting a very accurate picture of what I am commiting to. The whole reason I want to go is to help. I want to keep people alive. So I will have no bones with being genuinely humble and entirely grateful for any/all knowledge I can gain from NCO's and anyone who knows anything I may come across along the way (in boot and onwards). I don't know that alone will make me a good officer, but I want to do what I can do to my job well.

My 3 major questions are:

What is my realistic commitment? I know it is 3 years active duty and I can do the other 5 IRR, but I am 22 now, I will graduate in May, I have to train for what? A year? (boot, ocs, and mos training?) So really my commitment is 4 years?

I want to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan. If I am not going to serve there, then that changes my incentives for joining. How much control over that will I have? How much control will I have over my MOS if I come out of OCS?

My last question is a phsyical concern. I was always an endurance athlete in high school. I had a decent mile (4:40), obviously I am not in that shape constantly, but I could certainly get it down around 5 in a few months. I played water-polo, but once again, my strength was always endurance, never any great amount of brute strength. Is that going to make things more difficult for me? There is no point in commiting to being in Infantry officer, which is what I am looking to do, if I am going to get pwned in Ranger School because I can't max out on push-ups like some guys do. I am not gangly or anything, 6'2" 195 lbs, but I have always been more of a runner and a swimmer than a weight lifter in terms of my physique.

Any help on these would be really appreciated. It is a big decision for me at this point in my life, as it obviously was for everyone serving now. Just want to make sure I make a good decision.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I can't help you with the officer-specific questions, but as far as your concerns over endurance vs strength go, don't worry about it. You know what it takes to set goals and work toward them. You are able to work through physical pain. This is no different.

Your goal is 300 points on your APFT. For your age, that is 75 pushups in two minutes, 80 situps in two minutes, and two miles in 13 minutes. You obviously are not going to be able to do that today. But you will be able to do it with some hard effort over time. Your age and history with endurance sports will help you a LOT. So get started. Just like you have excelled at everything else so far, you will also do well in this.

Congratulations on your decision to join the Army as an officer.

3. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Those are the max requirements. You only need a score of 180 to pass the PT test which can lower the amount of work you need to do but as always you should strive for excellence.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

dot

Since he mentioned Ranger, I assumed his goal would be set high.

5. JSin

JSin New Member

I can help here. You need to resign your "contract" once you are commisioned so your total committed time in active duty is about 3.5 years. Basic and OCS is about 6 months total. Then you head off to officer training but you don't resign any contract unless you go to some special school like EOD or something.

As for getting a branch (MOS is the enlisted side) you want, don't expect anything. It is completely random and makes no sense who gets what. Our class only had like 5 Infantry guys out of 140 (even though a ton of people had it as a top choice), but the class after us had like 50% branched Infantry, most people who didn't want it. So you have a very small chance of getting what you want. Although a good deal of people were able to trade for things they prefered, so there's always a chance. One guy paid $1000 in a trade. So depending on how bad you want it.

Also, keep in mind that a pushup isn't a brute strength event, its an endurance event. If you are in good shape and think you have good endurance you basically only have to train your muscles how to do a lot of pushups and you should be fine. Also keep in mind that you don't have to be Infantry to go to Ranger school, I know the quartermaster branch is begging people to go ranger, so if a Quartermaster can do it...

I would bet any amount of money that if you would join now you would see either Iraq or Afghanistan in your first 3 years. Any branch.

Any other questions, let me know.

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I really want to write one of my marathon posts for this ...but can't seem to get in the mood...I'll answer any of your questions (9yr Army Officer) by PM ...but I'll try to get back in here later on and try to specifically answer your questions. I started a military reading list / thread here in the barracks. One book that I recommend all prospective officers / junior NCOs to read to understand leadership is the book "Starship Troopers" sure the movie was cheezy...and sure science fiction books about aliens aren't a likely source of professional development but this is a really good book with several other tie in books that I'm out there reading and trying to build a reading strategy to understand the military mind and the military path to success.

7. Lorenzo Lamas

Lorenzo Lamas OT Supporter

Thanks everyone.

8. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I am an officer as well. So I'm pretty current with how things are going.

Shoot me a PM.