Questions about switching to a Mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EB, May 22, 2007.

1. EB

EB 2/24/08

So my PC that I built about six years ago is dieing and I don't want to spend the money on a new one. I have a G4 that I bought from the university surplus for $20, so I am just going to use that. However I have some questions before I make the switch:

First, how much will a copy of OS 10.4 cost? When I bought the computer it didn't come with a hard drive or memory, so I am going to have to obtain a copy of 10.4 (I know 10.5 is comming out soon if it already hasn't, but I don;t know if my computer can run it. I think it is 450mhz and has ~256 of ram)

I can reformat and use my IDE hard drives I have in my PC right?t? Also is it possible to get an IDE card and add extra hard drives like on my pc?

Will 10.4 be able to read/write mt my NTFS hard drive that have all my movies and music stored on them? I want to avoid shuffling files around and I reformat everything.

Can I use my bluetooth logictech keyboad/mouse with my G4? I really like them and I can't type worth crap on the keyboard that came with the G4 (old school iMac type keyboard)

Can I still have my dual monitor setup on my Mac? Right now the G4 has some single output video card. Is it possible to use my ATI 9600 in the G4?

Also, I have never used a Mac outside of school or work, so I have never bought Mac software. If my old and busted G4 can handle it, would it be worth it to just wait and get 10.5?

I know most of the questions are really basic and I could probably find the answers with some time on google, but I am jsut looking for yes/no answers, and I can figure out the rest.

Thanks for helping me out.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

- OS is about $130
    - as long as your g4 has ide inputs, you can plug in any harddrive you'd like and format and go
    - osx can read ntfs, but not write to ntfs
    - if your g4 has bluetooth, it should be able to use any bluetooth mouse/keyboard you'd like
    - if your g4 has dual video out, then yeah, double up on your monitor

wait for 10.5? up to you, it's about 5 months away. your choice.

3. EB

EB 2/24/08

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Thanks

So my ATI card I presently have in my pc will work in the G4?

Also since you use the apple key on the keyboard for alot of short cuts and stuff, what button would it be on my logitech board? The ALT key?

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

no to the graphics card...if dual was built in, then sure, if you're going to be yanking hardware from your pc, chances are the only thing you can swap over without issue is the harddrives...maybe the cdrom/burner, but probably not.

and yeah, it would be the alt key.

5. EB

EB 2/24/08

It looks like it has some generic PCI card in it now. I haven;t opened it up in awhile so I cannot be certain. Will it accept any video cards that have dual outputs?

Thanks again man

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

no, you gotta find mac specific video card...
    like i said, only thing you can swap easily is the harddrive.

ram for the most part is swappable as well, at least since the g4 era for the most part.

cd/dvd/burners are iffy.

everything else is pretty much mac specific.

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

8. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

leopard is still 5 months away? dang! I'm surprised my 2.33 c2d mbp that I bought in nov isn't obsolete by now! usually that is the shelf life for apple

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

what? up until about 3-4 months ago, I was using a 2000 Pismo Powerbook running the most current OS.

10. Tvan

Tvan New Member

:ugh:

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:o

12. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

wtf are you talking about? you must be a new mac user...
    macs last forever...you can probably install 10.5 on a computer from the late 90's and it'll still run fine.