MIL Questions about special forces and misc stuff

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jcgodfrey, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

First of all, I am considering joining the military and I am trying to figure out which branch is best for me. The special forces intrique me; partially because of all of the things you get to learn, and also because of the immense challenge presented. I know everyone here is saying "everyone wants to be SF when they join" and I'm sure that is true...

I'm looking to eventually end up in federal law enforcement (NCIS, FBI, ATF) so I'm looking for a job in the military that would prepare me for that.

I'm wondering about the special forces training, particularly in the Army. I noticed they are required to learn a second language which I'd really like to do, so that kind of stuck out for me.

As far as training though, what should one expect? I've been doing lots of searches online. It's easier to find info on SEALS vs. army SF.

When I was in shape, I could run two miles in 12 minutes. I know lots of running should be expected.

To prepare, would one be smart to commit to lots of running, pushups, situps, and pullups? Anything else?

I guess I'm just the type that loves a challenge and hates going in unprepared. If I do this it'll be all out and I'll want to be the best.

Also, I have a college degree, and the Navy recruiter told me I basically have no chance of going in as an officer. Is this true or is he feeding me bull? The Army had no doubt about me being an officer.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide. I'm sure everyone will laugh and smirk at this but it's something I'm really considering, and I know I can do it if I'm equipped with the knowledge for proper training.

Thanks again

Joel

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

The recruiter is full of shit. If you have a 2 or 4 year degree you can go in as officer. You can go special ops with any branch although the army has more spec ops opportunities i.e. Ranger, SF and Delta. If you want more info on SF then pm GTcrispy he just got his green beret.
    Personally I would go army ( I did). If you want spec ops then again I would say army unless you just want to be a SEAL. However if you wash out of Army Spec Ops then you can still go back to a decent job. I heard if you wash out of SEAL training you get stuck with shitty jobs.

Bottom line is if you want it, you will get it.

Congrats on your choice to serve.

3. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

what branch can you get a commission with a 2 year degree.

4. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Check this link out: http://specialoperations.military.com/specops/index.html

smokie700 is right about having a back up plan in the event you may not make it through spec ops training. If you don't make it as a SEAL, the navy has SWCC, EOD, etc... however you could get stuck in a non-combat position.

If you don't make it through the spec ops training of the Army or Marines, you could still fall on a combat position.

5. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

. ?

6. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

army warrants?

7. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

I served in the 3rd Ranger Bat so if you have any Ranger related questions either ask in here, PM, or IM me.

8. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Smokie700 - Thanks for the information. That recruiter told me that "right now it is super competitive to get into the Navy as an officer. You need a minimum 3.4GPA in a field they deem important (like an engineer vs. my marketing degree...).

That's why I'm looking into this and researching though...because for me, failure will not be an option. I can get into shape, I just need to be informed so that I prepare properly.

9. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

You guys keep saying "if you wash out, you get a shitty job"

What is a 'shitty job'? Just examples...please :) I do not want to drive a desk. If I wanted to do that I could do it in the civilian sector.

I really want to join and feel like it is my duty and a citizen of this wonderful country.

10. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

SoCalLove - I've been to that link 10000000X's, but I DO appreciate you posting it for me! I've been scouring the 'net for RELIABLE info. (which is tough because everyone has been special forces before haha...).

If you 'wash out', are you done, as in no more chances to try again?

DarkPhantom - What is your IM? Mine is FINL4 on AOL. I don't believe I can PM on this website (I don't pay). I would be interested in hearing about the Rangers! ANY information is great. I love to learn and be informed.

Thanks so much. Keep any information, particularly regarding constructive and preparatory training, coming in!

Joel

11. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Maybe GTCrispy can chime in on this too...I can't PM. I'd love to hear his experiences and pick his brain if he doesn't mind.

12. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

tehkinggovernor -

Thanks for the info. I wasn't necessarily calling foul on it, but more just wondering. It seemed to me that if it WERE a lie, it would be a lie that I would easily expose...

Again, not saying he was lying, I was merely asking. Thanks for your input!

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I will chime in as an Army Officer.
    I did my boards summer 2004. graduated college in december and went off to the military february 2005. i went through basic, OCS, OBC, and now i am at my unit.

my initial dream was to be an infantry officer, go to ranger school, goto infantry unit, get picked up for ranger batt, goto SF selection when my PL time in the Battalion was over....i was branched engineers and all of planning went to shit :o

with that being said: your ultimate goal is FBI, ATF, etc. you honestly would be better off going infantry in the marines or with the 11x contract and become a ranger batt boy early on. get the experience and the clearance behind you

SF is a lifestyle committment so expect at the least 2 years of pipeline training before you get to a unit followed by a lifetime of dedication to everything you worked for.

goodluck with either route you take...also dont always take the first "no"
    you hear as a final answer.

also i just thought of this, but you might want to look in to Military Police and more specifically their Special Reactions Teams (similar to SWAT from what my MP buddies have told me)

14. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

hmm, I heard that most civilian law enforcement don't like MP's because they have already been trained in military style and the habits are hard to break. that they would prefer someone green and train them in their own policies.

About the 2 year degree. I know some components of the Army were offering a 2LT comission for 2 year degree but you could not advance to CPt without the 4 year. ( however i may be wrong, I was once).

15. kazimer

kazimer New Member

i thought that geared more towards local city police departments. it would seem that a government agency would have some similarities with military police. but i'm probably wrong.

the army will take a 2 year degree if you have prior enlisted experience and attend ocs but like you said you have to finish off the degree before CPT career course......the option is called "degree completion"

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I know the FBI rewards military service. Say you have eight years TIS and no degree, you will get paid more than the young buck coming out of college, to do the same job.

17. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Wow, thanks again for the responses. I have talked with my Dad about it (he is a career police officer) and we both agree that I am NOT ruling out making the military a career. It is definately a possibility. That being said, I want to do something that will challenge me (not that other things wouldn't) and something that I will ENJOY.

That's one big reason I got out of the civilian sector. I interview well, have been offered many GREAT jobs, and declined simply because they are not my cup of tea. Most people would jump at the job chances I've been given, and then call me an idiot for turning those down to join the military :)

I guess it's just who I am.

18. Jyokker

AF PJs, can't beat that.

19. burton564

burton564 New Member

i have not met very many army SF who have no made a career out of the military. with the storys i have been told about going to a promotion board and they ask you how your day is, cause you are jsut gonna get promoted anyways, thats tough to beat in the military. and i'd have to agree with jyokker, PJ's are some bad asses. When it all comes down to it, if you want the mental challenge along with the physical challenge, Army green beret is the only way to go.

20. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

my AIM SN is WallyDaPolak hit me up whenever

21. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

aim :ugh2:

22. Jyokker

pollacks :ugh2:

23. kazimer

kazimer New Member

If you do not want to sit behind a desk or doing other bullshit jobs
    do NOT become an officer...the life cycles of officers land them behind desks fairly quickly. at least thats the train i see in my tunnel :(

24. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Warrant Officer ftw

25. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:werd:
    many of my 2LT friends are thinking of kicking their gold bars to the curb