Questions about running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by sea bass, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sea bass

sea bass Guest

I've been lifting for a few years and biking but want to take up running. I ran for the first time in a long time and did a 7:35 mile yesterday and was breathing a bit hard for the whole time. Is it likely I can do 3 miles in 22-23 min if I train for 3 months straight?

Also, one of my biggest problems yesterday was shin splints. They were tight as hell for a few minutes after the mile. Anything I can do about that, or does that go away with time?

2. phish

phish hockey crew

You'll gain more endurance and stamina as you continue to run, so keep at it.

As for the shin splints, try finding a better running shoe that help cushion your feet more. I had pretty bad shin splints but bought nike shox. Not everyone likes them, but the pair I have fits my feet perfectly, and voila, the pain went away.

3. xela

xela So say we all!

Yeah, good shoes will definitely help. It took my legs and shins a good month and a half before I could come home and not have to ice.

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

tightness is not shin splints

5. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

:werd:

you'll KNOW when you have shin splints. they suck horribly :wtc:

6. xela

xela So say we all!

:werd: They are the worst.

7. nobody

nobody New Member

if you had them at the beginning of your mile, you wouldn't have finished. at least that's my experience.

a couple of good rules as far as starting to run is this - run by time, not by distance. start with, say, 20 minutes a few times a week, and don't worry about your distance covered. just do 10 minutes out and 10 minutes back, for example. you aren't going to have fast times at the beginning anyway, and running a time will help keep you from overexerting yourself right away.

second, don't increase your time more than 10% a week. this will help make sure you don't try and excalate your running exercise too quickly, and give you real shin splints.

and finally, get a pair of good shoes, and use them exclusively for running. and be prepared to replace them at the absolute least after 500 - 600 miles of running.

8. sea bass

sea bass Guest

thanks for the tips, i'll try to run by time. and i think my shins were just cramping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.