questions about removing swirls/scratches...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tommyortom, Aug 30, 2005.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

the previous owner of my car just did the generic exterior car care......car wash when needed, and "waxed" it occasionally.

ive clayed and waxed the car a few times since i bought it in january....there are swirls and fine scratches all over. from 10 feet away, you cant see anything, but if you get close, you can see it all. there pretty much all over most of the car. theyre pretty minor and most people would say my car is really clean...but i want to try to remove them and make it as shiny as possible.

to remove them...should i get some scratchx stuff or specific swirl remover? or should i just get some good polish? id like to try to only spend 10-15 bucks on a bottle of polish....what are some good choices on stuff i should be able to locally find?

as for applying it...i have one of these DA buffers..(getting a PC for xmas probably...if i get into detailing cars for fun..just mine, friends, family:))
    [​IMG]
    all i have is the bonnet that came with it...should i use this buffer, and with what type of pad or bonnet? or should i do my entire car by hand, and with what type of applicator.

my cars color isnt deep or eye catching or wet looking at all, at least right now its not.... its like a weird light green/blue color............at least right now its not....maybe it will look better once i can get it looking like glass....hopefully

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

That isn't going to do shit for swirls and scratches, going to have to wait until you get a PC :hs:

3. ecofire

ecofire Member

I agree. You don't want to use a buffer on it, because its the spinning that puts the swirls in the paint. I've used some Mequiars Swirl and Scratch Remover pretty successfully. Get something like that and polish back and forth in straight lines as best you can over the whole car.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

That is a DA buffer, it won't leave swirls. Rotary's don't either when used properly.

Forget the over the counter stuff and order a quart of Optimum Car Polish. Runs around $15. I believe Excel Detail carries it. Will work okay with that DA buffer (see if you can find a foam or microfiber bonnet) and amazingly well with the PC.

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

ill give that stuff a try, along with the foam or microfiber bonnets. sucks that i have to mail order it..id like to do this this weekend...fall semester of school starts next week and I wont have as much free time :(