questions about reformating

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, May 15, 2004.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

I am going to be doing a clean install of XP Pro from XP Home. Is there anything special I need to know before I start? A couple questions I had is

How do I get my internet connection reestablished after the install? I have Comcast cable. I watched the guy set it up but had no idea what he was doing.

Also, is there anyway I can save all my Outlook emails and get my boxes/folders to look the same after the install?

Thanks

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

As long as you have the drivers for you network card, there's nothing to do for Comcast except plug it in to the cable modem. If you're using a USB cable modem, you'll need those drivers to reload after the reinstall. Outlook stores everything in a file called outlook.pst by default. It should be saved in c:\documents and settings\your_username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook. Or just do a search on *.pst and make sure your explorer is set to show hidden files. Burn that file into CD before the reload. After the reload, you can install Office and run Outlook. It will create a new outlook.pst file. Close outlook and replace the new, empty one with your backup. Also, go into tools, accounts and write down the mail server settings since those are not stored in outlook.pst.

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

x2...
    -make sure u have your driver's CD.
    -stick in your XP cd and choose to install... and instead of an upgrade choose new install and basicly u sit back and watch til u have to enter in your timezone, administrator password so on and so forth.
    -your going to have to customize those things again if u dont do what mcdaniel said.

4. quzur

quzur Active Member

thanks for the info