questions about ram and airport for my macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Feb 8, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a white macbook that came with 1gb ram. with no windows or anything running, i'm lucky if i have more than 350mb of ram left (at least thats what activity monitor says)

when i run parallels winxp and give that 300mb of ram, i have like 40mb left over. it's not horrible, but it can lag sometimes

anyway to get rid of extra osx bloat?
    or should i just upgrade my ram? would i notice much of a difference if i replaced one of the 512 sticks with 1 1gb stick? i guess i shouldn't cheap out and just go for the 2gb. links to cheap ram?

second question -
    i notice that when i have airport turned on, my battery life drops by at least 35 minutes. would a usb wifi adapter eliminate this battery life drop?
    i already do all the things to keep battery life high, like dim the screen, turn off bluetooth, don't have lots of processes etc.

also, what does "use interferance robustness" do? thanks
    edit: i had interface robustness before. i read up that it has something to do with filtering out noise, like microwaves

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

if you use a USB adapter it will still be draining power. also, i would suggest upgrading the ram. i need to do it myself. remember the days when 256 ran things perfect, and 1 GB is absurd? haha

3. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

The system will allocate RAM as necessary, so just by the Activity Monitor having 350MB free, doesn't mean that is your hard limit. The system can allocate Virtual Memory as well.

If you look at it closer, there is a section of your memory called "Inactive". This type of memory is allocated, but not being used actively by programs. It can be re-allocated as necessary.

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

As far as the WiFi is concerned, there is a lot of variables. How far are you from the base station? What kind of blockage do you have between you and the base station?

More distance and interference, the more power the WiFi card has to draw to keep the signal stable. A 35min hit seems like a lot though, as that's about 1w of power draw on normal batteries.

5. dorkultra

makes sense, that probably why i can still have parallels open and then open up itunes to share some music, play a dvd and use firefox without it totally crashing

i opened up istumbler, the noise level was 9%. at any given time, i can access at least 3 APs named tsunami (gotta love college for never changing the default name). they are non-overlapping, use 1, 6, and 11 and leap authentication

i'll get a screenshot when i get out of class

6. S2J

S2J OT Supporter

you have a pm

7. dorkultra

thanks for the pm, will be getting more ram soon

heres what i see in istumbler
    [​IMG]