Questions about power supply failures/ motherboard failures

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bruiser, Feb 19, 2006.

1. bruiser

bruiser I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer... so here's a little story of what went wrong... maybe someone can help.

Okay, so I have a Dell. That's probably my first mistake, but the good thing is I didn't pay for it, it was handed down to me.

It came with only 128 MB of RAM, so I went to the store and bought some Rambus (what's what it takes). 2 sticks of 256 MB. I then proceeded to install it.

Now, after I install it, I hit the power button and nothing happens. I look at the motherboard and the green light that is usually on isn't on. I have no idea if it was on or not before I installed the new memory sticks.

So my first conclusion is, by coincidence, the power supply died just as I was about to install new memory even though just an hour earlier the computer had been up and running fine. I have no way to test this though, except to try a different power supply to see if that works. I don't have a power supply tester or anything like that.

I did open up the power supply (with it unplugged) and looked around. It didn't smell burny or anything. It looked fine. I even plugged it back in and accidently shocked myself (touching something that looked like an insulator but turned out to be conducting).

So my next conclusion is maybe I fried the motherboard with static electricity. Is that possible? I doubt I even touched it when installing the memory, but even if I did, I'm sure the LED would power on even though the motherboard is damaged... which leads me back to thinking it is the power supply that is bad. I bought a new one and am having it shipped, but is there any test I could do to check it before it comes in (aside from getting a power supply tester).

Thanks for any help...

2. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

What was the ram you were replacing and what ram did you buy?

Your comp will not boot if the ram is defective. Go put the original set back into the mobo alone and try to boot.

3. bruiser

i got the right RAM, RAMBUS it is called. I took a stick in with me to the store to make sure I got the right one (and had to buy two sticks because RAMBUS is that shitty kind that needs two sticks to feed off one another). The problem isn't that it isn't booting, the problem is it won't even turn on and there are no signs of power anywhere.

4. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

When you turn on your psu, do you see an LED lit on your mobo?

Are you just trying to push the power button on your comp? If psu, mobo, cpu, video, or ram are defective, your comp will not power on.

What are the specs of your ram - like pc3200 DDR400?
    Maybe you bought some ddr2.

5. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltate at one of the molex connectors. Should get +5, +12 then the 2 grounds. I just had one crap out on me at work. Had the same problems you were having. Replaced it and everything worked.

Wont the computer still POST even with the wrong RAM? You would just get your beep errors.

6. bruiser

yeah no LEDs are lit anywhere

memory is PC600/800 RDRAM RIMMs

7. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

Hm - its really strange that your psu would just stop working like that.

I don't know if its worth buying a mulitmeter to check your psu. Maybe you can just take it down to a radio shack and have them test your psu for you.

Just test the volts and dont test current unless they have some super high quality MM.