Question's about old VW Bug

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Slownlow, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Slownlow

Slownlow New Member

I have been thinking about picking up a old VW bug and I would really like to try and autocross it. I'm looking to get as close to 300 hp as I can. But mainly I want an excelent suspension. I'm having problems finding upgrades for it if anyone out there can leand a helping and it would be greatly appreciated.

2. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Eek. Autocross and a VW bug is like oil and water. The two just don't mix. The bug just isn't made to turn like that. Yes they're light, but if you wanna make that thing handle, you gotta have time and money. There's not a whole lot out there in suspension really. Drop spindles, shocks and springs. That's about it. Weight distrabution is another thing to consider, since by nature they are a bit tail heavy, their tracks are narrow and center of gravity is relatively high. Plus, the utter lack of power steering could be a major biaatch in a half.

So yeah, I haven't heard of anybody auto-Xing a bug, but if somebody has, I suppose it can be done. . . :hsugh:

Go pick up a 16V Scirocco or GTI instead :) Already great handlers out of the box and there's a lot you can do to them.