questions about my new setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 94cc0rd, Sep 19, 2007.

1. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

Alrite so I just recently got a 32" Sony KDL-32S3000 LCD TV, Sony DAV-HDX265 Home Theater setup, and my time warner cable box.

I have 3 remotes, TV, sound system, and cable box remote.

Please excuse my noobyness, as I don't know all the home theater terms and stuff...

I just got everything hooked up and I have a few questions but first some information. I have the audio receiver hooked up with the red/yellow/white cables to the cable box. Cable line from the cable box to the TV.
    For the 2 days I had my tv and audio receiver without the cable box, i had the red/yellow/white cables hooked up from the audio receiver to the tv.

Now, I can watch cable tv with my sound system, and when I turn on a dvd, i only get audio, unless i switch the cables back to how i had it before the cable box.

My question is, how do I hook everything up so that I get all my audio through my sound system without having to switch up the wires everytime i switch.

Also, is there anyway I can minimize the number of remotes I have to use or do I have to use all 3 of the remotes for wahtever function I'm trying to use?

Sorry if its confusing and that its really long but help would be appreciated. thanks!

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Your post was a little confusing, but I think I know what you want to do.

I'm going to assume that your Sony DAV-HDX265 has multiple inputs on it like a receiver. What you need to do is attach the video/audio outputs from your cable box and dvd player to different sources on your receiver (i.e. video 1 and video 2). Then connect the output of the receiver to your LCD. From here you just use your receiver's remote to switch between inputs.

As for multiple remotes, you can buy a universal remote such as one from Logitech that will do multiple functions and programmable actions.

Btw, you should really be using component video cables (red, blue, green) rather than the standard video cables (yellow).

3. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

veonake: My dvd player is my receiver... it's the same unit.

Here's what I have... dvd-receiver (dvd player + home theatre receiver), cable box, and lcd tv.