questions about mass and lifting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Shrug, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

i've been lifting for a long time now but never got my diet in order and have more of a power lifters build then a body builders.

my question is if you choose to eat cleanly but still do alot of compound leg/back stuff such as heavy squatting twice a week and deads can you still lean out?

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Yes, getting leaner is all about what you eat, and heavy compound movements (not isolation exercises) are the best way to maintain muscle mass on a caloric deficit

3. Shrug

is it possible to eat clean and maintain current lifting regime without cardio and lean out. Im not looking for any more strength gains at this point i just dont want to lose it.

4. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. if you're losing weight at a slow pace, you shouldn't lose much muscle mass

5. Shrug

im 5'11 and weigh 220, i dont know how soon i wont to go back to a surplus :o

6. MP18

MP18 New Member

you can definitely lean out...but its not just a matter of eating cleanly (although that is clutch), your caloric output has to be greater than your caloric input for you to start losing weight...in order to ensure that weight lost is fat and not muscle, make sure you are getting an adequate amount of protein and dont make the deficit too high, i believe running a caloric deficit of 500 (or is it 200?) calories a day is average for weight/fat loss

the compound movements you chose to train with dont really relate to your body fat levels which determine your leaness, you should have no trouble training the way you are and manipulating your diet to become lean through some of the ways i mentioned

also and probably more helpful, start reading up on the subject, t-nation.com has some authors, one of which christian thibedeau (sp?) has gone from a power lifter build with high fat levels to a competitive bodybuilder and has documented his path through articles on t-nation.com, there's lot of other info on this subject there too, you just have to peruse through the archives and authors

7. Shrug

8. MP18

MP18 New Member

not sure...make an account at fitday.com, its tedious but accurate

9. Shrug

and 1 last weird thing. say hypothetically you eat 2000 cals a day and your maintenance is 2400. but you burn an additional 200 in a workout. is that cumulative down to 1800 and if so how do you account for what you burn in a workout, especially when lifting, whose to know :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.