Questions about Mac Mini

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Jun 11, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does it come with a DVI-VGA adapter in the box?

If I skip Wifi and BT right now, how could it be added later? Does anyone make USB Wifi or BT adapters for Mac? If it must be added internally, will they sell me the part and does it just plug into a slot inside like the Airport slots I've seen on PBs?

If I buy one off the web site, are they shipping with 10.4 now?

2. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    Yes it comes with the adapter. The Airport and bluetooth can be added later, but it must be installed by Apple - I don't believe you can buy the special module yourself.

Yes all macs ship with Tiger now.

3. diranged

diranged New Member

Just spend the $$$ for BT and WiFi in it already - you cannot add it (the internal version) later. Also it does come with 10.4, and a DVI-VGA converter.

PS. I love my Mini -- it lives in the livingroom and lets people get on the net without using my laptop.

4. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Actually, I just saw the BT/Airport kit for the Mini at CompUSA for $99. However, if you fawk it up, it won't be covered under warranty. I had the apple store do it and it only cost me $99.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does anyone know how fast the hard drive is (rpm)?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4200rpm

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

80 gig - 4200
    40 gig - 5400

8. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

They are both too slow though :) I put 1GB of RAM and a 7200rpm external firewire drive as my startup, and the computer is usable now...but, I know Apple was marketing to blahblahblah and if I want more performance get blahblahblah...

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've been researching upgrades on the net and I think I'm going to get the 1.25 GHZ with the base memory and disks but add bluetooth and wifi. Then I'll add 1GB of RAM, 7200 rpm hard drive, and an 8x superdrive later. That way I get my foot in the door now for less money and I can turn it into a better machine than Apple would sell me. It will be good experience upgrading Macs and will give me first hand experience about how Macs react to various improvements.

10. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

that was my original intention as well. However, as of now I have ditched plans for an internal hd upgrade. I have the 5400 rpm 40GB, and although I would like to replace it with the 100gb seagate momentus 5400.2, after working inside the mini, I have no immediate intentions to do so. The 1GB PQI memory I bought gives me kernal panics so ill be picking up a stick of crucial to use.

256mb of ram is much more useable than I had previously expected.