Questions about LCD Backlight / inverter

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eigervue, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

I have an older compaq presario x1000 CTO laptop which i used for the first 4 years or so of college. Although it is an older machine it still worked extremely well as a laptop and I could even play a decent number of games on it. I see no reason to get a new laptop especially since it will probably still out perform any cheap-o laptop I would be able to afford. I am having a problem with either the backlight or the backlight inverter and want to attempt to fix it. I just had a few questions before I go about this.

1.) How do I know if its a bulb problem or an inverter problem, when I turn on the laptop the screen comes on to full brightness for about 10 seconds then appears to die (appears to but in the right light you can make out what is on the screen). If I push the little button thingie that tells the laptop it is closed the screen goes black then comes back at full brightness for another few seconds than dies again. I assume this is the inverter am I correct in this assumption.

2.) Is the backlight inverter 100% specific to the screen. When I purchased the laptop I upgraded to the 15.4-inch TFT WSXGA+ display. DO I have to get a backlight inverter for this specific display or will a backlight inverter for the normal 15.4" screen work as well?

3.) Could my power supply have caused this problem, it gets really hot and is cracked and whines, should I get a new power supply while I'm at it?

Thx for the help in advance

2. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

P/S issue normally in laptops... bulbs only get dimmer as time goes on, but the ps usually dies out.

easy for both to be replaced in most models... I can do T2x & 4x series in 15min flat !

3. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

are either of the inverter / bulb resolution specific?