GUN Questions about FFLs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by VladTemplar, Jan 13, 2008.

1. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'm always interested in things from a legal standpoint, so if I could get some clarity here I'd like it.

I know that C&R FFLs have to have receivers greater than 50 years old, so C&R FFLs don't really interest me.

1. What defines a "premises for conducting business"? Do I have to show that I'm wanting to open a gun store in order to get a dealer FFL? If so, what do you have to go through?

2. Is it possible for multiple persons to be on the FFL. As in, for example, could a father and son (both over 21) have their names on it? Or is it only for a single individual. If so, how does a gun store sell guns to people without having one for each employee?

3. With regards to receiving weapons via shipment, like for one purchased via GunBroker, what difference does a non-FFL seller make? Aren't they required by law to move their weapon through an FFL?

Thanks for the help.

2. t1h

t1h Guest

a store front, or a room dedicated in a house to selling fire arms are premesis for conducting business. You'll have to go thru a lot to get an 01 FFL. You'll have to have your store zoned commercially, to get the license ATF will do a thorough background check, finger printing, etc. You should contact ATF with your questions.

the FFL is in the store's name, and employees can do the 4473 paperwork.

only the receiver is required to have an FFL, it doesn't matter if the sender is. but you do have to get their name and address for your records.

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

seems like this would be the toughest

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Want to know how to make a small fortune owning a gun shop? Start with a large fortune.

5. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I didn't have any plans to make a business out of it, I was just wondering if there was some way I could simplify expanding my gun collection. :naughty:

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you get an FFL (other than an 03) you just admitted to a crime.

Good job.

7. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

ATF doesnt like that.

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I hear that the ATF has been looking at home-based FFLs with extra scrutiny because there are so many whose purpose is to "own" post-sample items and or score "FFL only" deals to further their own collections rather than conducting business.

9. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Yeah, they want to see that you're actually conducting a business and using an FFL as you should. They want to see traffic and see a lot of outbound transfers, especailly with NFA stuff.

They're also cracking down on Post Samples on NFA dealers, demo letters better be demo letters.

10. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

So, opening a home-based type of thing is mostly out of the question? :hs: I would love to get a FFL and sell a few guns here and there on gunbroker, but mostly to sell to friends and such. For this, I wouldn't need an actual storefront, because I would personally deliver firearm sales local to me and ship for other sales.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

dunno for sure, but that that sounds like a short cut to federal pound you in the ass prison.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Your transfer traffic would be too low and would raise flags I think, if I was going to do it first I'd have a couple thousand set aside to buy a bunch of stuff for resale on the auction boards then post on every forum I'm on that I do cheap transfers that'll atleast have your numbers up a bit.

13. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Does ATF spell out a certain number of required transfers? I guess I should look around on their site more, but I know you guys know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than I am at the moment :o

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

There is no magic number. If they decide to come after you that's when you know you weren't meeting their arbitrary standard.

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

lol

No they deal with gun laws.

16. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Getting the base FFL license (dealer) is no where near as bad as you guys make it out to be. I know several who have done it with very little trouble. 2 were not even physically visited by an ATF agent. Problem is you do have to at least make it a business and the margins are thin if you want to be competitive. Super thin. Anorexic.

17. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Good luck too, I requested the packet from them over a month ago to get started, still nothing.

18. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Nope, but they want to see traffic and use when they give you your yearly audit.

What defines trafffic and use, who knows. It's kind of like private sales, at what point are you all the sudden dealing in guns?