MIL questions about discharge..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kcomps, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

My boyfriend has been in the AF for about a year now. He has done well and is starting to actually love it and the opportunities that come along with it. He is not the best guy with saving/spending money. He just bought a car and has barely been able to make his payments. He also has two credits cards which he owes 400 on one and 200+ on the other. He also owes the DMV 250. He is also going to Canada in May and has to buy things for that. He has spoken to a counselor a month ago to help him with his money issues when he had them last month and she helped him out, but I guess he didn't really take the help. He called the counselor again and was told he would hear back from her on Monday.

I know that if you have money problems in the military they will discharge you. And if so, do they give you time to make up the money or just leave you high and dry? If his money problems are this bad, would they just let him go?

Any feed back would help greatly. Thank you.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

no they are nothing going to discharge him, they will punish him.

why is he going to Canada? Why does he have a car?

ps. post pics

3. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Just an opportunity came up. Punish him as in how?

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

no they will not discharge him. But when his money issues are bad enough to affect his work, the military will step in and lend a hand. for example, they will make him, or the dealer take his car back and exchange it for something he can afford.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Is he going to Canada for vacation?

6. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

no, not vacation. Its for work, his whole crew is going. It will only be a month. I am just not ready for when he goes over seas.

7. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Exactly.

Sometimes it can affect their job. My Husband is a Nuke in the Navy. If he fell behind on payments, they would punish him by making him stay extra hours, he'd get a chewing out by his LPO, then his LCPO, then his Division CPO, then his Division head, then the CMC, the XO followed by a masting by the Captain. He could lose his security clearance and be forced to a lower-paying job that doesn't require a security clearance (the lower paying part is sort of retarded, how do they think LESS pay is going to help a financial situation? But that's the Navy for you!). It's happened to people we know. Although it has to go to absolute extremes. Another Nuke we know had his house foreclosed on him, and a vehicle repossessed. He did NOT lose his clearance and was obviously not discharged as he's a Chief (E-7) and is up for E-8 (Senior Chief). And this was just a few years ago that it happened to him.

Your BF needs to get his financial act together, regardless. He needs to start paying things by Allotment. Allotments are where they take the amount that the Service Member owes out of his DFAS check and pays it directly to whom they are indebted to. This only works for things like rent, car payments and credit cards, with a few other odd things thrown in there. Depending on when his payments are do, if his car payment is due on the 1st of the month, he could take so much out of his mid-month pay, with the remainder coming out of his beginning-month pay and have it sent by Allotment directly to the lender. Then he should do the same for his two Credit Cards. With his balances as low as they are (granted, they may be maxed out, but with a balance of $500 and say $250, his payments shouldn't be more than $100/each CC, and that's overestimating).

What the Allotment does, is that the Servicemember doesn't see that money. It goes DIRECTLY to the creditor. The remainder from the allotments is what the Servicemember sees in his/her account. So say he makes $750/bi-monthly, that's $1500. Car payment is roughly $275 (I'm estimating here, so bear with me) and two CC payments of $200 total. He's looking at $475/month in outgoing allotments. That still leaves $1025/month. But then he won't be spending money that should be going to his car payments or credit cards on other junk. Those are taken care of before he ever gets his check.

And yeah, if he's not going to Canada because the Military is making him, he might want to reconsider. He also needs to make sure his Command knows he's crossing the border. Sometimes, they may deny him that. Any time you go outside of a certain mileage (for the Navy it sometimes varies by command), you have to get prior approval. And ANY time you want to jump countries, you absolutely must have prior approval, or you can beconsidered AWOL.

8. dura

dura Guest

Say hello to AER loans (maybe).

9. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

He does have money deposited directly to his credit cards payments and card payments, but for some reason he still uses his credit cards and just gets more in debt and even though they take money, he still never has enough. I do not know how it happens.

He has approval to go to Canada or he wouldn't be going.

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

tell his dumbass to stop spending money and live off the mess hall for a while......he will catch up eventually life just has to kinda suck sometimes.....................