Questions about Christopher's routine...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by HoldEmRules, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

I'm referring to the one listed below...

Anyway I just tried the Monday routine yesterday (never done squats before - never been to the gym much before) and the next day my legs are killing me. I can hardly walk down stairs without fumbling around. Is this supposed to happen?

Also my chest doesn't to ache all that much (at least not as much as when I go through my usual chest/tris exercise) ...but my upper back feels it but mostly my thighs...yikesssss. Is there something I'm doing wrong since my chest seems to hardly feel ANYTHING?

Anyway some stats. Kind of low since I rarely went to the gym before. In fact this is probably the first time I've been serious about it. :

Bench: 105
    Squat: 105
    Deadlift: 115

How long should I be on this routine? In all honestly I do NOT think I can do the routine for Wednesday tomorrow. I might just wait another day (2 days in between instead of 1).

Thanks!

Monday
    Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
    Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
    Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
    Incline DB Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
    Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
    Good Mornings-3x8-12
    Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
    Pullups-4xmax

Friday
    Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set.
    Bent Over Row-5x5
    Incline Bench-5x5
    Tricep Extensions-2x12-20

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I think you're supposed to spend a week or two familiarizing yourself with the movements before actually doing the full blown routine. Your legs will definitely feel beaten from here on out.

3. Leaf

Leaf OT Supporter

Not sure what to tell you about your chest, maybe widen your grip a little bit. And the sore legs are definitely normal; I remember how dificult it was to walk up and down the stairs for a good 3 days. Just keep workin at it and the numbers will go up and the soreness will decrease a bit.

4. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

uh thanks...ok gonna take tomorrow off as well and see how it goes

5. Perplexed

Perplexed OT Supporter

Why? Don't be a pussy. Once you battle through the first few weeks your work capacity will be much higher and you'll thank yourself.

6. Mojo

Mojo New Member

pussy? from what i know, recovery is important.

going back and lifting lighter weights can be reasonable.

7. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

yes. As your body gets used to these exercises, you won't get as sore as you are now

8. jaymode

jaymode New Member

do it for the first week and then after that the soreness is greatly reduced.

9. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

Well I figure since I've never been to the gym much before, and never done much physical activity at all before, it'd probably be better for me to take 2 days in between at least for the first 2 weeks.

Thanks for the input.

10. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

You are probably used to doing legs (somewhat) heavy once a week. You'll find that doing them 3x a week will greatly reduce the soreness - even more so than when you did them 1x a week. Also, your numbers should go up very quickly. Try doing light squats on Wednesday (like 50% of your 1rm), you should feel fine after the first set.

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

12. blam

blam New Member

You do realize that DOMS is not always indicative of muscle damage right? It can be caused by inflamation of sorrounding connective tissue and have nothing to do w/ the muscles level of recovery.

13. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

What is DOMS?

14. edmang

edmang New Member

Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness

15. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

Hmmm so should I rest till I'm able to walk normally again before starting anytihng?

16. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I am on the routine as well. Although I can definitely feel it, my legs are not blown out the day after, and I do go all out. I believe the reason is I stretch very thourougly after. I stretch for atleast 30mins. I recommend it. It makes me more flexible and definitely stops the soreness.

One time the gym closed earlier than I thought so I dind't get to stretch after doing good mornings workout. My hamstrings were dead the next 3 days. I could barely walk.

17. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

no

18. NormanNormal

NormanNormal Where it all ends I can't fathom, my friends...

why not? explain thanks

19. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I'd wait. He's just getting into workout out isn't he? It's not good to go all out right away, you are supposed to ease into it.

20. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

because he's making it sound like he;s not gonna do anything until he can walk...muscle soreness is normal, especially if he's pushing himself.. he's also not lifting that much weight right now, so it isnt like he's going to be hurting himself...eat enough to replenish your muscles, drink a lot of fluids and hit the gym

21. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

is there a link to some pics/gifs about what sort of stretches i can do before and after?

thanks.

22. blam

blam New Member

Dont do static stretches before, it can hurt your strength levels. Dynamic stretches are a good idea though(google is your friend).

23. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

24. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

make sure you're touching your chest as well as having a decently wide grip (the rings on the bar are probably a decent indicator for most people) so that you're actually working your chest and not just your triceps. Otherwise your chest won't get too sore. Beyond that, your chest will probably never get as sore as your legs, although it should be tender to the touch (as well as your anterior deltoids) esp. for the first couple weeks. You use your legs every time you walk around though, and the quadriceps are much bigger muscles than the pecs so of course you'd notice soreness more. Anyway, working out again will be good, especially because it'll get blood flowing to the muscles again and help them work through the pain.

25. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:werd:

massage them as well, hot showers are nice and keep things from getting too tense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.