Questions about building a sub box.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Nov 11, 2003.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I have never built a box before, so I want to know the correct procedure and materials that I will need to make it. I know I will need the 3/4 mdf and a box of wood screws, saw, drill and all that. What about sealants, wood glue, etc... After the pieces are cut, then what? Do I use wood glue or something like liquid nails to bond the pieces together, then predrill and screw them in tight or what? I know I will need to use some sealant on the inside of the box when it is done, but it is the actual building of the box that I need help with.

I wan't to build the box right the first time, so I don't have to go through the hassle of buying and cutting another sheet of mdf.

Thanks

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

liquid nails or pl 400

dont get it on you

once you are done building if you did a good job with the liqud nais it shoudl be sealed other wise grab some silicone or more liquid nails and seal it up form the inside wait a day before throwing the sub in there

3. 04

04 Guest

I agree with flynfrog, but you can also use woodglue if you prefer. I would stick with liquid nails though.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Ok, but when you are first starting out, and you only have the bottom and sides cut, how do you keep the pieces still while you predrill them? I know once you get the bottom and sides sealed and screwed together the rest will be easy.

5. 04

04 Guest

I usually have someone hold the other piece for me.

6. Finest

Finest OG #93

LOL! Yea, I get my brothers to hold them for me as I predrill the pieces. Or else you can get some long clamps that will hold the pieces together for you.

As for the rest of the build, I use woodglue on all joints. Then after it's all done, caulk the inside liberally. *REMEMBER TO MAKE THE BACK PIECE YOUR LAST PIECE TO PUT ON!* Cuz how else are you going to caulk the front inner corners? heh heh I learned the hard way the first time around... :p

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

also good point about the back being the last to go on, I probably would have put the front piece on last.