A&P Questions about an upcoming portrait session

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tedrzz, May 23, 2006.

1. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

My friend's mom caught wind about my photography and loves my work. On June 3rd she wants me to take pictures of her daughter and all of her friends on her birthday. She's paying me, we haven't established how much-but this is my first "real" gig!

I'm quite nervous, because I don't want to mess it up. Here are my questions. I don't have a speedlight for my d70 yet. Should I purchase one? She wants it to be outside in her backyard, and then later in the evening go to a lake in their backyard for some sunset pictures. Also, there will be about 6 or 7 of them. How should I take pictures of them all? Do I tell one person to put their arm on so-and-so's knee, or what? I've always taken candid portraits, where I didn't control any of their body positions.

Secondly, I have a 50mm f/1.4, Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro, and the 18-70 kit lens. What lens out of those three would you use the most?

This is nerve-racking..

2. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

I would use the 50mm 1.4 if you have it, because thats quite a spendy lens compared to the other lens's you have, and the fact the 1.8 is 200$ cheaper, But hey, If you actually do have it, sure as hell use it.

And make sure to shoot around F4-6 or even lower for more of a DOF effect. As far as the speedlight, it's not required, but to enhance the shadows in the sunset, that and an Omnibounce works great. It's defintely a purchase that you wont regret.

3. natelam

natelam New Member

The 50 is a little long for group shots, a speedlight is essential if you are going to be shooting a group with a sunset, make sure you shoot slow sync on a tripod. If you are doing outdoor day shots, use the speedlight in TTL FP BL mode, adjust exposure on the flash and camera to effect. If you are going to be shooting a group of people at least f5.6 to make sure everyone is in focus. In all honestly I would use the kit lens. It's a great range, you won't have to step back too far to get a group and you can zoom adequately for individuals. If you are shooting flash and groups most of the time, the aperature range is just fine. I would bring the 60 for detail shots (the cake, flowers, etc...).

I normally don't think photographers should do things for free, but if you have no experience with portrait or event photography...for the sake of the client I almost would recommend you tell her up front you haven't done it before and you don't feel comfortable being paid. She will most likely compensate you anyways monetarily or with a gift, so it's a win-win (you being honest and getting experience in a low pressure situation, she not expecting more than she "paid" for). It's still a real gig since you were asked based on your portfolio

Good luck. .

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  4. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

yeah by getting paid, I think I'm just going to ask her to pay for whatever prints she wants. I don't really think my work is that valuable

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

girls? post picture for approval when done

6. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

of course