MIL Questions about Afghanistan/Iraq

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Martin Atchet, Dec 24, 2007.

1. A lot of people ask me what is more dangerous Afghanistan or Iraq. I normally say "well its war either way so it doesn't really matter", but I honestly don't know. I've never been to either but Iraq gets the most TV time so we never hear much about Afghanistan.

The only thing I know about Afghanistan is from the documentary Inside the Green Berets from National Geo.

Is either one more dangerous? Stupid question I know :o

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I've only been to Iraq, so I can't answer your question. And I've heard from many soldiers that have been here before and are here now that Iraq is a much different place now than it has been in the past, so whatever answers you get from anyone that has been here or in Afghanistan will probably be framed by stale information and experiences.

cliffs: you're right.

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

only been to iraq... but whenever I see Afghanistan I always just see desert and mountains. I know there are villages and stuff but I honestly see nothing that would warrant concern. However, I almost always hear about people dying in Afgan :dunno: confuses me.

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Either way its shitty

5. This is what I thought. So many mountains and valleys and shit. What prompted this question was overhearing someone say "Afghanistan is way more dangerous than Iraq" my first reaction was :ugh: but I've never been to either so what do I know.

6. dura

dura Guest

I'm deployed with a sgt who was airborne infantryman with the 172nd. He was there 04-05 and considered it to be more "direct" in terms of firefights. He mentioned lots of patrolling, hiking through mountains, and checking up on towns/villages. I've shot the shit with a few more combat arms folks who have been there and their response was the same.

I think whether it's teh 'Ghan or Iraq, it depends heavily on the region inside of the country. Some places are relatively stable and others get torn the fuck up.

7. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

That's because most of the forces in Afghanistan are Special Operations. While bigger troops are doing their thing in Iraq, smaller units like SEALs and Rangers are trying to eliminate the Taliban threat.

8. Is that basically what it is? Smaller Special Operations units and stuff there?

9. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

ask the guy who was injured in either place and he will probably say that that place was more dangerous

10. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

A lot more NATO participation in Afghanistan.. That means many other foreign players are getting their deading on.. I had a cousin over there and when we saw eachother at wedding a few months ago, he kept saying how 'hard' we had it over in Iraq

11. obscurealien68

obscurealien68 New Member

not a stupid question at all. i've been to both, and i've been all over both. it depends on where you are stationed in each.

in iraq, erbil, northern iraq is like there isn't' a war at all, pretty chill. baghdad and basra is a bit more tense. more dangerous for sure.

afghansistan - kabul is chill, western chicks (ngo's) walk around uncovered, pretty damn safe. khandahar isn't too bad, pretty safe. other small firebases can get pretty wild-westy. and you are sick all the damn time with the diarheah and vomiting.

overall, i think afghanistan is safer though. i had a good time in both places.

12. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

read the book "blood makes the green grass grow" for a good first person narrative on what its like in the 'ghan.

for iraq... well most of us have all been there, iraq isn't so much dangerous as its more like is it your turn to die by the ied. i don't fear for my life here. it's just more like an unlucky lotto.

13. familyguy1

familyguy1 New Member

That is a good book, but yah mainly 'Ghan is SF, GreenBerets ,Rangers, SEALS, althought NATO is taking a big part. the main fighting is SF. If you want a good book about SF in Afghanistan, read "The Hunt For Bin Laden" by Robin Moore. Its set in 01- latter part of 02. its really good.

14. ~JustPlainLucas

~JustPlainLucas New Member

google your questions.

15. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

I think a lot of that has to do with where in either country you are stationed. I've not been to Iraq (my brother-in-law has, and is leaving for Iraq again in a week), I've only been to Afghanistan.

Bagram seemed (considering) safe. We were never attacked while I was there.

I had several friends at Camp Phoenix and Camp Eggers and they said it was pretty relaxed there, though there were some bombings here and there. But not as much as Kandahar.

Kandahar was a bit different. We were rocketed a couple hours after I landed. And the day after I left some more rockets landed near the dining facility and bx/boardwalk. KAF was always a hotbed of Taliban action. Though not nearly as much as some of the outlying FOBs. Especially those near the Pakistan border...those guys have it much rougher than Kandahar or Bagram.

16. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Just think about it, then go ask a Russian.

17. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

i have only been to Iraq, but i have a couple buddies that have spent some time in afganistan, and they pretty much compare it to iraq, except that it's more spread out, and a bit calmer....i met my wife in iraq, and she is currently deployed on her second tour.

i know that the diyala province (iraq) wasn't all that bad when we were there in '05 for a year, but after we left, the base was closed and terrorists were flushed fram baghdad to the diyala province, escalating the violence.

right now my wife is near baghdad, and it isn't altogether that bad right now....someone was sniped, but their armor stopped the round from doing any real damage, and a few IED's have been found, but not much other than the occasional mortar/rocket.

i think in afganistan you have a higher potential threat of actual combat, mixed with some IED action, while in iraq, you have the IED's, VBIED's, EFP's and the randomly aimed rocket/mortar fire to worry about

18. Patch

Patch New Member

I was in Afghanistan this summer, didn't seem horrible to me, but I wasn't running around on patrols or anything either. Got rocketed every couple days at the FOB, but they never really hit much. Seems like most of the combat is durin the big ops, other than that not a lot. Except for the ANA and ANP, those guys were in it pretty much every day.

19. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead OT Supporter

my best friend leaves for afghanistan with the 69th infantry division on thursday. he is going to kabul