Questionable Cervical Cells

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by EPD Hater, Apr 4, 2004.

1. EPD Hater

EPD Hater New Member

My girlfriend, age 23, has had this issue before and has had then scraped-off/removed. Now she has another questionable "spot" detected by her recent pap smear and she was suggested to go back to her OB/GYN for a closer look. I asked her when is she going to go, and she said it's not one of her priorities right now and she really doesn't feel like facing it. She's a really smart girl and she knows that waiting longer could be more harmful. And I asked her if she has HPV and she answered "ummmmm...no" as if that weren't the issue.

My question is this: Actually how common are these alerts among young women? I'm looking for answers from the female OT body here. :x:

This really makes me worry. :wtc:

2. Pretty common, but it needs to be taken care of or it could turn into cancer. Easy fix now but has the potential to become harmful if not taken care of.

3. DaedelGT

DaedelGT I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it go

My friend Jenny has questionable cervical cells all the time, but it's good to keep them under watch and taken care of pronto.

4. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

definitely get her to have it looked at. Not something you would want to wait on.

Very possibly HPV as well. However, that won't be known unless she goes to the doctor.

5. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

i've had some abnormal cell problems with my cervix leading to several colposcopy's, biopsy's and two leep treatments. if her problem turns severe just be there for her. also, if she's a smoker you might want to help her quit since smoking is usually related to the degree of severity. if she has to have a leep treatment that can be very painful for her, so comfort is a HUGE plus around that time!

6. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

oh, and it's VERY common so doctors are highly familiar with this problem. i know at least 6 girls who've gone through this.

7. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

The #1 cause of a real ASCUS pap result is HPV. The doctor should be able to do an HPV test off of the sample they already took. She should also go back for a second pap in six months. If the pap results were more serious than ASCUS, she really needs to go back to the doctor. The next teir of results are definately pre-cancerous cells.

I should also add that any odd cells trigger an ASCUS result. A little tampon debris, a little sperm, a little powder, a little lotion - anything that gets on the slide that is not normal cervical tissue will show up on the test. There are probably just as many false alarms at the ASCUS level because of odd debris, so it could really be nothing at all.

8. EPD Hater

EPD Hater New Member

Okay guys, look at the date I started this thread--April 2004. Anyway, she has since not gone back to a gynecologist, but I will have to get on her about going back. She was living in Colorado at the time, and now lives here in Pennsylvania with me.

9. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

that's pretty risky that she hasn't gone back, a year later. She does realize if it gets out of control, like any cancer, it could kill her?

10. Reign

Reign Banned

It could be HPV but you shouldn't really worry about that.

Other than ugly warts, HPV is harmless and generally will clear out of the body with in 2-3 years.

11. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

UNTRUE.

There are certain types of HPV that cause a significant increase in the risk of cervical cancer. The Pap Smear is a cancer screening test.

Perhaps the man in the situation need not worry about an HPV infection, but the woman most certainly should.

12. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

My g/f had an abnormal pap results. Doc thinks it might be HPV...if it is, is she going to be ok? She's a bit upset now and worried about the results. I just want her to be ok. :hs:

13. TampaGirl813

TampaGirl813 Guest

I have had problems with that since I was 16. They found that I had severe displaysia, and I have had to have paps every 6 months. I even had to go through the colposcopy (biopsy) part just to make sure. It's pretty scary to hear something like that, but I think as long as she keeps on top of it, things should be OK.
    I know just by going to the Dr. like I was supposed to made me feel more easy! Best of luck...

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, HPV is the cause of cervical cancer in almost all cases, however most women infected with HPV will not get cervical cancer, and their bodies will clear the infection.