Question! wax and Vette Paint hardness

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by evan2, Feb 23, 2010.

1. evan2

evan2 Guest

I know its HARD! I have a 2006 Black Z06 GF also has a red fit but I have stuff for that since I had a red s2000 I just sold.

I have s100 wax but was told that might not be the best choice and to use Carnuba Moose, which one do I want exactly or do you reccomend anything for black?

just bought some Megs 105 and already have 3 huge bottles of menzerna that I will doubtfully every use so I skipped the 205. I have the power gloss, micro polish and intensive polish.

I have a PC 7424 which I know SW and others said might not be the best thing for my car though some hard work I might be able to move defects.

I bought all new pads and want to hit it as soon as the stuff gets here. Do you think I will be able to really remove defects with my current set up?

I have ex poorboys sealant too already.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Using the KB method, you may be able to remove what light swirls I saw on your Z06 with a DA using #105 and a cutting pad. However, not sure if any of your Menzerna can remove whatever hazing you might get with the KB method. I wasn't getting any on TriShield's G8, so you may be okay. The PC 7424 XP or G110 V2 are probably better suited to the higher pressures needed to correct using the KB method.

Carnauba Moose on black = :drool:

3. evan2

evan2 Guest

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I would stay away from dish soap to clean the pads as it's usually a real pain in the ass to remove fully from the pads. I usually use my sanitary tub and mix warm water and some APC and use a soft brissle brush to clean my foam pads. Works really well for me.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: Stopping the original PC in its tracks is comically easy, especially once you get used to using more powerful machines.

However, Evan, since you already have a 7424 I would recommend looking into a Flex 3401VRG at the very least as your next tool purchase. With as hard as your paint is, you'll thank yourself profusely -- it makes the job much less painful (though a rotary is still the best way to fly on C5/C6 'vette paint).

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: I also got some of the Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner spray bundled when I bought my Flex from Autogeek.... I was surprised at how well it works. Though I can't help but think that it smells exactly like Windex :mamoru:

7. evan2

evan2 Guest

what is APC? Just something pad cleaner
    I have bought new pads so these will just be saved for my gfs car. If I do it!

I really do not want to spend more cash right now on new tools, Ill see how the PC works I mean I just got a new backing plate for it so it better work.

Do you guys have a good guide on how to remove it. I just looked quickly yesterday and it seemed like a really tight fit.

8. evan2

evan2 Guest

I use detailers domain as I still have my s2ki discount which is 10 percent.

9. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

APC = All Purpose Cleaner

10. CJPA

CJPA New Member

The paint is a structural member of the car in a Z06, be careful not to thin it out too much, or body panels may fail unexpectedly at speed! :noes:

11. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

APC = All Purpose Clean such as Meguiars APC or APC +. Can't hurt to try but I know that from experience, working on a C6 corvette with PC 7336 is a real PITA because of how slow it works. I would go on youtube and search Kevin Brown Method.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

Your 7424 should have come with a flat wrench.

Good luck, hopefully you're not too disappointed with the results.... 'vette paint is a bitch.

[y]s51LHJrXAK4[/y]

13. evan2

evan2 Guest

Yea I met SW on Sunday and he told me about it and Ive seen the video. Will do it and show results.

I have the flat wrench I believe, I won the PC and a megs kit off speedoptions.com in like 2000 lol.

14. evan2

evan2 Guest

FIBERS running all oveR!

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

well fml...guess I shouldnt of got a new backing plate for my pc....I dont know if I Didnt work the polish in long enough or the PC is just worthless. I read something about 3 passes but really SW did a ton more so I might re try it.

car looks great until I shine my light on it, my garage was super dusty though and I got polish residue everywhere....

I only have m105, then used menz intensize and then micro.
    yellow then orange and then green pad.

I really do not want to spend money but want my paint to be great! Should I get a DA flex or just go to the rotary? post links please.

I really wish Id just pay a professional to do this but I already have so much product I feel like I need to use it.

16. Scottwax

The PC 7424 XP or the Meguiars G110 v2 might be powerful enough if you use 5" orange cutting pads. Here is a write-up I did of a black C6 Z06 that I corrected with my G110.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-de...hed-integra-interior-smoked-tails-maxima.html

2007 Chevy Corvette Z06. Customer bought it used from the original owner in Chicago who had the engine work done (headers, exhaust, cold air, minor porting, cam, etc), about 580-600 RWHP) but didn't take great care of the exterior. My customer had purchased a Flex 3401, pads, 3M Extra Cut, Zaino Z5 and a few other products. He was kind of frustrated with the slow progress (he is new to paint polishing) and had some hazing issues going from Extra Cut with a cutting pad straight to Z5 with a polishing pad. He'd done the entire front end but it was pretty hazy-typical result going from a compound straight to a wax or sealant. He decided to have me polish out the car and then advise him on what he needed to do to keep his car up after that.

He seemed to have done a good job removing the swirls from the front but the hazing needed to be gone. Used my Meguiars G110 using 5.5" orange Erasure cutting pads with Meguiars #205.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Starting from the doors backward over the rest of the car, I used Meguiars #105 using my G110 and the 5.5" orange Erasure pads, followed by #205/5.5" orange. What surprised me was the last of haze I was getting with #105 and the small orange pads.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Half and half shot:

[​IMG]

After going over the car with #105/205 and the 5.5" orange pads, I then switched to the Meguiars yellow foam polishing pad with #205 over the whole car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished the car off using Clearkote Pink Moose Plus (RMG + VM + something else) using a blue Propel finishing pad via G110 and then waxed it with Carnauba Moose.

Only garage shots, it was raining most of the afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't do anything other than a wipe down under the hood, but you can't have a modified Z06 thread without at least one engine shot!

[​IMG]

17. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner is actually just regular red degreaser that most palces use to clean floors. So i jacked a gallon jug from my work and just refil my XMT bottle :rofl: Works just as well

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Super-Degreaser-Concentrate-Gallon/dp/B00092868W

Same stuff, but yea it sort of smells like windex but trust me its not windex

Heres the MSDS

http://www.spurrierchemical.biz/msds/msds/901MSDS.PDF

And for cleaning pads Simple Green + Washing Machine ftw

18. BlazinBlazer Guy

Ha! Guess I never realized that's what it was. Just a freebie, anyway.

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yea between Red Degreaser and Megs Wheel Brightener Im pretty sure theres nothing I cant clean. Hell I use Meg Wheel Brightener on machine guns to remove baked on carbon works better than brake cleaner which is kinda scary

20. BlazinBlazer Guy

Meg's Wheel Brightener is some wickedly strong shit. A gallon lasts forever for me because I end up diluting it to a very weak level.

21. evan2

evan2 Guest

I used a yellow with the m105, which I thought was stronger than the orange. Then orange with the menz intensive, Think I went to fast with my pc.

It did take a few of the marks out just not perfect and maybe I had the light too close to the paint.
    IDK

22. evan2

evan2 Guest

ordered a flex 3401, hope this works better!

23. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: I think you'll like it. I love my Flex :bigthumb:

24. Corvettes4Life

Corvettes4Life New Member

orly? recommend me a brand :o pinnacle? mothers?

and what kind of pad do i use with it? meguiars polishing/finishing (yellow) pad?

25. Scottwax

Clearkote Carnauba Moose is my go to on jet black, solid red and most dark metallic paints. I've tried pretty much everything and keep going back to Carnauba Moose. I apply it by hand but you can use a finishing pad to apply it.