A&P question the 1.6x crop factor

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SpiderOnTheFloor, Apr 1, 2005.

1. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

for a 50mm lens, its like using an 80mm lens on 35mm right?

i was playing around with my zoom on my 35 mm and went from 50 to 80 a few times and its seriously just a few steps difference? is this true for all situations or just the closer up (i was in a room so not like a landscape or anything)

2. mojito

mojito New Member

it make more of a difference on the wide side, as every few feet count. It helps on the telephoto side, but kills you on the wide side. In the "normal" range as you just saw, its not he biggest deal in the world, a 50 becomes slightly telephoto which is great for portraits. One thing about it, you see more of the center of the image, so a lens with bad corner sharpness or vignetting isn't as noticeable

3. SpiderOnTheFloor

right so for my 50mm the crop factor isnt a huge deal because i can always step back a bit for it to be 'normal'...but for wide angle i could see this being a problem if you wanted a certain shot but were too close to the ground or a wall or something...good to know....i think i am going to walk around with the 50mm and maybe with no zoom i will be forced to get more creative

4. mojito

mojito New Member

When the sigma 30mm F/1.4 comes out I bet it will be a hot item, inbetween the 50mm 1.4 and 50 1.8 interms of price and quality, and will give a closer to a true 50mm

5. SpiderOnTheFloor

i have the 50...i dont know if the 50 and the 30 would make a good pair beause they are so close..they should come out with a 10mm prime or something

6. sony

sony Active Member

There is a 14mm prime. It comes with a built in lens flare filter for all your pics. :cool: