MIL Question that has a long story behing it. v.pleasehalp!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sirc, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

In high school I was taking engineering and drafting classes to prepare to go into college as a mechanical engineer to develop weapons. It was my far fetched dream as a kid and when I entered college I realized that I had not the natural talent to be picked up by any sort of credible weapons developer and it was a intense market there. The only other thing I would want to do is work in the automotive field designing things for cars. But shit happened that isn't all that important and it didn't pan out. My fallback plan was to join the military. Since I was little, I had always wanted to be a Ranger and I wanted to join the army. But my family very much was against the idea of me joining the military and wouldn't "let me join."

Fast forward to today, I'm currently a network engineer and working on my mechanical engineering degree. I've more or less separated ties with my family and have been mulling around trying to decide if I should join the service or not. I like my civilian lifestyle. I have a job that I don't have to report in anywhere and make good money and do whatever I want when I want.

I'm pretty physically talented and my mind is there. I come from a very athletic family and have no qualms being physically and mentally pushed. My dillemma is, I love my life the way it is now, but I want to join some service. I was thinking about joining maybe the coast guard or the national guard? But I feel like I'm just being a non-committal bitch if I do that. :hs:

I dunno what to do.

2. Obeezie

Obeezie New Member

not reading

3. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

of course you wouldn't, president.

4. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

finish ur degree, if u still want it go in as an officer.

/thread

5. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

You either want to be a Ranger or you don't. Nobody can make that decision for you but yourself. Don't expect it to be glamorous like you probably envision it to be..

6. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

I don't plan on it to be very glorious or rambo-like. I know I'm gonna be treated like shit and it's going to be hard and difficult, but what I'm interested in is learning the skills, having the experience and doing it. I care more about knowing that I am competent and capable over actually getting acknowledgment for things I've been doing.

7. Julius

Julius Guest

don't dump your gig for active duty.

join the national guard if you want to contribute to the military. guard units deploy often and you can pick any job under the sun.