Question regarding upgrading a HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cipriani, Apr 23, 2007.

1. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

Ok so i have my computer, its:

Dell Dimension 8200
    Intel Pentium 4
    CPU 1.80GHz Processor
    512MB Ram
    40GB Hard Drive.

I am currently running Win XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

So i only have less than 2GB left of space on this drive and seeing that new HD's have dropped significantly in price lately i'd like to buy one and install it. Now, I of course have a lot of information on this drive i'd like to keep so i want to save the drive.

What would be the correct sequence of actions that I would need to take in order to complete this task as effectively and efficiently as possible?

Also, I dont know WHICH drive I need to buy. I see some terms like SATA and others being thrown around and I really dont know which is the right one for my computer. If you guys could point me in the direction of a good HD I could use on this computer, I'm looking for 150GB-200GB for starters. A link to Newegg or TigerDirect would be helpful.

Thanks dudes.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you want a PATA or "IDE" drive. You cannot use SATA.

Get a Seagate 7200RPM drive with 8MB cache in your desired capacity, and call it a day.

3. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

open up the pc case and take a good look in there (clean out some of the dust while your at it and add another 512mb of ram).

ata or as it is sometimes called parallel ata (pata) are larger 40 pin (usually minus one pin) connectors that have wide ribbon cables
    [​IMG]
    (it's the green thing, very very common, probably what you have) usually there are 2 channels, ide1 and ide2. each channel can support 2 drives, master and slave. your cdrom is probably hooked into this

if your looking for a drive that is going to be a slave, something that won't
    have an operating system on it, it's as easy as seeing what connector you have, buying the appropriate drive, set the jumper on it as slave, plug it in
    and format it

if you want to replace your current 40gb drive and keep everything intact, you'll have to image the system drive onto the new drive, i think that might be over your head

kinda sucks that you only support ata100, but get a seagate drive and you'll be happy. outpost.com usually has good deals
    http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4008252?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the guy has a dell that uses rdram... It's obvious that he can't use sata...

6. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

im about to pull the trigger on this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148137

is it okay for my system? I know i originally said i wanted 150GB-200Gb and this is twice as much but i figure wtheck might as well go big now that im doing this.

Also, its not that expensive imo, its about what i wanted to spend.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, with SP1+ on WinXP you're fine with that drive.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

9. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

thanks for your response. recently I redid my desk area and since i was running all the cables and cleaning i decided to open up the case and blow the dust away with compressed air.

My computer has 4 slots for memory and Im currently using two of the slots with 256MB ram modules. I went on crucial.com and found the memory for upwards of $239 dollarz. So at $200+ for memory idk if i want to upgrade RAM just yet.

As far as 'imaging the drive' let's forget about leaving it intact. Is it possible to put my 40GB drive as a slave and the 400GB drive as primary and install Win XP on the new drive?

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

RDRAM is very expensive. If you're going to keep this computer for a long time, max it out with RDRAM (probably 2x 512MB boards) before the stuff disappears for good.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for cost purposes, RDRAM is a useless investment. that dell mobo isn't the most robust, and when it dies, he has some very expensive ram that's going to be paper-weighted.

Save the cash for a new machine.

12. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

13. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

thanks for your inputs dudes. I'll see what i do with RAM. Maybe ill even out the two empty slots with 256 modules so i have 256 all around for a 1GB total.

14. deusexaethera

In the big scheme of things, Jolly's right about the RAM being useless outside of this computer. Then again, in the big scheme of things, people who don't have a computer lab in their basement will almost always be unable to use their old RAM in their new computer, so...meh.

15. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

ok going back to hard drive issue though.

will i be able to 'plug and play' the new HD?

16. deusexaethera

1. Yes.
    2. There won't be anything on it. You'll have to reinstall Windows, or restore a backup copy of Window from your current hard drive.

Just wanted to make that clear, because I had a roommate in college who asked me where I managed to buy a new hard drive with Windows preinstalled on it.

17. Create

Create :free at last:

1. Buy drive.
    2. Read directions.
    3. Follow directions, 2x checking jumper setting. Use MB book to find IDE port.
    4. Use XP help to find 'drive management' tool. Activate, then format this drive (right click new drive in 'drive management' tool to find thee selections)
    5. Reboot and check 'My computer' for accessibility.

18. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

so the new drive doesnt come formatted?

19. deusexaethera

They never do.

20. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If you get a retail HDD, which usually comes with a manual, IDE (or SATA) cable, and a CD.
    The CD will let you boot from it.

Set the new drive to Slave, keep the current drive as Master. The CD software will walk you through the steps to format the drive. And the nice thing is that most of these CDs when you tell it that's it a new boot and it see that there is already a current bootable drive, after it formats the new drive to your liking it'll do a bit-for-bit transfer of your old drive to the new.
    Then just swap out the drives, and make the new drive the Master, and it should boot as normal and Windows will/should act like nothing as changed....some other programs might be a bit upset, like Photoshop CS or newer, but other than that it'll ok.

I had a case with my new drive having an issue of after all of that format and transfer it would BSoD on boot. Just a simple chkdsk /f on that drive it fixed whatever was wrong and booted just fine.

21. cipriani

cipriani OT Supporter

ugh now im more confused than before.

someone said i could plug and play it as a master drive, now youre telling me that i need to set my new drive as slave?

Let's pretend the 40GB drive (current one) is toast/dead.

What would i have to do.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if the drive is toast, you would completely remove it, install the new one, and install windows.

23. deusexaethera

What is on the current drive? Is Windows on it, are your files on it, are Windows AND your files on it? Whatever is on the current drive, you will need to reinstall or copy onto the new drive.

24. Create

The key to understanding is simple.

Ignore this guy:
    Follow all other adivce posted so far and you're fine. My directions are a sound start.

The easiest way to have your new drive contain the OS is to 'ghost' one drive to the other (Norton Ghost or equivalent). Then, swap your master/slave setting for both drives and reformat the slave.

25. Create

Also, as posted above, do not buy RDRAM.

Save up $600-700 and build a new box.